New to group

• 16 replies
  • 143 subscribers

I've just finished treatment. It consisted of 30 lashes (fractions) of RT and 2 chemotherapy sessions. I now have a very red and sore neck. I've been applying Zeroveen which does help sooth the pain, but it forms crusty yellow areas on my skin in the places where my skin has become rough. 

Can anyone recommend anything else I can use or should be doing to improve my condition?

• Hi Bigped

Epimax and Epimax oatmeal served me well during chemoradio treatment, Epimax oatmeal available from GP and Epimax from radio team.

Peter

• Hi Bigped, welcome to the group. Well done finishing your treatment. Ask your team to for Flamazine cream, it works wonders, my neck was in a terrible state, Flamazine cleared it up in a matter of days.

Ray.

• Thanks Ray, I will try and get some of that. They have given me some flaminal hydro, which is a gel, but it didn't help. I think that might be meant for open wounds, but the cream sounds good. Thanks again. 

• I was given PolyMem bandages and they were amazing.

They left me with no scarring and were so comfortable to wear. I can’t recommend them enough but are very expensive so talk to your team or doctor.

regards

Dave 

I have just finished my 6 chemotherapy and 30 radiotherapy for tonsil and throat cancer. I have PEG and currently have to take all nutrition through it. 
    I am struggling to open my throat to swallow even sips of water. Does anyone have any tips as my gag reflex is high and really struggling.

Dave B 5246

• Hi, will try and get some of that. They have given me some flaminal hydro, which is a gel, but it didn't help. I think that might be meant for open wounds, but the cream sounds good. Thanks again. 

• They have given me some flaminal hydro, which is a gel, but it didn't help

Ray’s advice is good. Flamazine is good. 
    Tbe even better news is that as soon as the RT stops your neck begins to heal. 
    How are you in yourself? 

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Hi, thanks for you reply. I'm not too bad of myself, although today I feel a bit "spaced out" and very tired. They have prescribed Pregabalin a part of my pain management which did make me feel a bit weird, but this is different. It's possibly a physiological reaction to me knowing I've finished treatment? Maybe. 

• You sound as if you have weathered the storm pretty well. Keep going. 

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • It may be too late but E45 and aleo vera gel was recommended by the hospital and I used that right through treatment and still do months later.  It kept the skin damage at bay for me.  I did get one "burn" come up around end of treatment +10 days but that was minor in the scheme of things.

Peter
    See my profile for more details of my convoluted journey
  • Hi Bigped1610

I totally agree with Dave5246 I had a terrible time with Flamazine and the hospital had no idea what to do with me but,thankfully Hazel and her husband drove all the way down to Sheffield (in the sw)to bring me some of her leftover PolyMem to try which was absolutely amazing. no longer had to go through the torture of trying to clean dry and put on flamazine everyday and stopped my neck from eeding all over my bedding and pjs. I changed it every couple of days and reordered from Amazon as my Trust had never even heard of it! Within a week it had dried and healed .

All the best with your recovery 

Debbie