Mid diagnosis, questions to ask?

• 1 reply
  • 140 subscribers

Hi folks

My dad had surgery for squamous cell carcinoma on ear 12 months ago. Now has large lump on neck which is growing fast. Biopsy confirmed squamous cell; head, neck, lung scan suggests localised but to be confirmed by radiologist. Head neck plastic surgeon recommending surgery, also offering radiotherapy or nothing, on the basis that these latter 2 options would be palliative.

Addional scans to happen to identify extent of surgery required and I assume, to classify it?

Meeting arranged with surgeon in a week to discuss scan findings; hopefully confirmation of localisation; and options available. 

At this point would be really helpful to know questions to ask to help guide an informed decision on options available?

Many thanks. 

• Hi sorry to hear your dad’s cancer has come back. You can ask have they thought about immunotherapy ( how old is your dad) 

palliative radiotherapy how many sessions and over what time frame ? What are they hoping to achieve with the radiotherapy is it pain management or to try and stop the cancer growing. 
    you could ask what sort of time scale your dads looking at but I know consultants are reluctant ti speculate too much. 
    if surgery would radio be offered after a? 
    best wishes and hug to you and dad 

Hazel 

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

My blog is www.radioactiveraz.wordpress.com  HPV 16+ tonsil cancer Now  6 years  post treatment. 35 radiotherapy 2 chemo T2N2NM.Happily getting on with living always happy to help