Hello

• 3 replies
  • 141 subscribers

Hello  I'm new on here, this is all so overwhelming right now. My mother in law was diagnosed with stage 4 neuroblastoma on Thursday. Monday she was told she has 4 to 6 months maximum to live. We're all so lost, don't know where to turn. We feel like cats caught in headlights right now. I'm just looking for support right now as I'm going to be taking on her care and I've promised to be with her every step of the way. Thank you for listening x 

• I am so sorry to hear about your mother in law. This is a really hard time for you all and I do feel for you. I helped look after both my mother and father in their last couple of years until at different times they had to go into  nursing homes for the last couple of months of their lives as it was too hard to help them stay at home because of their physical decline.  (they were both in their 90's)  This was a very hard time and  I do understand the stress to some degree that you are going through.

Please make sure that you get some help in assisting your mother in law either from family or an organisation that provides services such as help from care givers. It is a big commitment and it was only with the help of my brother and carers that I managed to keep going. It was difficult watching my lovely parents decline over time.

You are a lovely daughter in law giving your mother in law the support she needs she is lucky to have you.

Sending you big hugs at this very difficult time.

Lyn

Sophie66

• So sorry to read about your mother in law.

I see you have posted in the brain cancer group. There is also a CARERS FORUM . You might find that helpful too. Just click on the link I made in bold. Hugs

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Hello.  I am so sorry to hear of your mother in law's prognosis.  Practical things that I would suggest from experience are:

1. Get on the best of terms with your GP

2. Try to think one step ahead so you plan for support rather than cry for help

3.  Investigate hospice care.  Either hospice at home or as an inpatient if the need arises.  They are experts are helping at end of life, not just your Mother in Law but also you and the family

4. Make memories and record thoughts and family history before it is lost

5. Know her wishes

6. Look after yourself

It is not an easy process to go through.  My thoughts are with you and your family.

Peter
    See my profile for more details of my convoluted journey