Hello

• 24 replies
  • 141 subscribers

Hello everyone. I had a resection to remove an SCC from my tongue in 2010 which was successful and didn't require any RT or CT. The whole thing was sorted in five weeks and I was talking and eating normally within three months. I know I got off very lightly. I thought that was it.

Everything was going fine with annual check-ups and the odd biopsy until 5 weeks ago when I suddenly had a lump in the middle of the previously damaged side of my tongue. Diagnosis is another large SCC which will necessitate the removal of approx. 2/3 of my tongue, reconstructive surgery and CT. 

This has hit me like a ton of bricks especially when they started talking about feeding tubes. I know absolutely nothing about these and would like to know how long they are needed for and roughly how many patients permanently have them.

Any insight anyone can give will be very greatly appreciated. 

• Debbielouise, many thanks. Appreciate the advice. 

• Hi Dani If I so use Google I try to find articles that are in plain 'english'.  They are normally few a few apart or I end up more confused with the jargon so this forum is great for members to ask a question and get a straightforward answer.   

• Hey there,

I had a hemiglossectomy, with reconstruction and a neck dissection in 2020 having had a “clean” biopsy of a lentil-sized lump in my tongue 2 years earlier.

I won’t pretend that it’s an easy process but it’s absolutely doable.

I have prepared a “document” about Diagnosis and Surgery - no holds barred; I wanted to know everything I could! Add me as a friend and I can send it over.

An ng (naso-gastric) tube is normally used for 7-10 days post op to by-pass tha area operated on. With a reconstruction, the hospital stay is normally 10-12 days.

Any further treatment will depend on what the analysis of the tumour shows. If Radiotherapy is required, then that can be hard too and an alternative form of keeping you “fed” might need to be considered, but don’t think that far ahead quite yet.

if you’re of working age then I’d recommend Young Tongues. There’s also The Mouth Cancer Foundation Support Group both of which you’ll find on well-known platforms 

• Very many thanks. It's great to meet you. 

• Hi Dani If I so use Google I try to find articles that are in plain 'english'.  They are normally few a few apart or I end up more confused with the jargon so this forum is great for members to ask a question and get a straightforward answer.   

True.  Scientific articles are written in their own language. This forum is a godsend. 

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Talking about  plain English I  really should proof read my messages lol 

• JoyJoy It’s ok it was perfectly understandable. 

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • I’ve “Requested Friendship”.

I think you’ll need to accept if you want me to send anything over privately 

• Hi Ginge

Sorry to hear about the recurrence after such a long time. I know it can be demoralising having to go through surgery again. Like you I had a recurrence in fact 2 after my initial op (jaw cancer so not the same as yours). 2013,2019,2022. I had more ops and another lot of radiotherapy. However am now doing fine and back to enjoying my life again.  It is tough having to go through treatment again but the alternative is not appealing. I decided that I just had to put my head down and get on with it. I am forever grateful to all the support I have received from this forum as everyone is so encouraging. You are in good hands with your medical team.

Wishing you all the best.

Lyn

Sophie66

• Many thanks for your encouraging words.