Squamous cell carcinoma diagnosed September 2023

• 8 replies
  • 127 subscribers

Hi everyone I was diagnosed in September last year with squamous cell carcinoma I had my operation in November and my surgeon removed all of the cancer Pray I’m on here to see how other people cope are coping 

my diagnosis happened so fast and was a whirlwind I’m very blessed to be in recovery but my head is catching up with what the hell just happened  I’d love to hear from other people  x

• Hi there

I had an SCC on my tongue, removed in surgery in Jan this year. Surgery was successful, so I am now on a monitoring programme - got my first ultrasound scan tomorrow!

Mine was also very quick - 1 month from diagnosis to operation (and that was over Xmas) so, like you say, it is all a bit of a whirlwind.

Tongue SCC T1N0MO partial glossectomy Jan 24

• Hi I’m Hazel SCC HPV tonsil cancer fast approaching 6 years since diagnosis happily living life just in Spain cycled 70 km today nit bad for a 67 year old. 
    Hazel c

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

My blog is www.radioactiveraz.wordpress.com  HPV 16+ tonsil cancer Now 5 years  post treatment. 35 radiotherapy 2 chemo T2N2NM.Happily getting on with living always happy to help  

• Hi   Welcome to our little community. Good to hear you are now cancer free. You simply have to look through some of the threads here to see how life goes on. The human body and the mind are truly remarkable aren’t they. 
    There is an essay by psychologist Dr Peter Harvey that you might find interesting 

www.workingwithcancer.co.uk/.../After-the-treatment-finishes-then-what.pdf

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Hi, the comments you have made sum up how things were for me.  Feel free to read my profile.  I assume you are still on 8 weekly check ups.   

• Hi Mick our stories are very similar 

can I ask how they removed your tumour? My surgeon went in through my neck as mine was right at the back of my tonsil 

I’m really happy to read your story as it’s giving me hope that I can return to my job I’m a full time care assistant 

I was advised by my surgeon it would be six months to a year before I can so I’m almost halfway way 

my check ups are every six weeks and also waiting on physio as my shoulder is painful also seeing a speech therapy as it’s affecting my speech 

did you have a trachea? I hated that part 

thank you for getting in touch 

My name is Wendy 

• Hi Wendy,  Sorry my procedure was totally different to yours.  My cancer was on the side of my tongue and was not as radical as yours.    I know someone will be able to help I think Peter might be able to give you some insight to the physio side of things.   Hooe thighs go to plan and best wishes.   

• Hi Dani can you.tag Peter into this post please (Wendy has some questions about physio).   

• Hi everyone I was diagnosed in September last year with squamous cell carcinoma I had my operation in November and my surgeon removed all of the cancer

Did you have radiotherapy? 

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge