Tongue pain post treatment

• 4 replies
  • 127 subscribers

Hi I'm new here and my partner has recently completed chemo and radiotherapy for tonsil cancer that is also in back of tongue. (Feb 16th actually) he's doing really I think considering, he has already reduced morphine and is only taking pregabalin and paracetamol.  The pain he says has reduced to about 4/10 over all so I think he's very luck after reading what everyone else has /is going through. The thing that gets him atm is tongue pain, I think probably ulcers, he doesn't want to go back to morphine for that but as he is trying very hard to eat 'real food' it's proving a real setback.. . I was wondering how long it takes others for these things to heal. Personally I can't believe how well he's doing but this issue is really really getting to him. Any commemts on this would be gratefully appreciated

• Hi 

Well done to your partner on eating so soon after treatment 

Try swilling Difflam or soluble aspirin before  trying to eat and keep a note  of what foods are more gentle   

My ulcers persisted for months but I could eat pretty well at 12 weeks. It’s really just a question of time. 
    He will get there but it’s slow. 

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Thank you for that, I think part of it is knowing it's not (hopefully) going to last forver..

• Recovery for most of us is really two steps forward one back and there are days when it’s pretty difficult. Don't get disheartened. 

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Hi I had ulcers full length of my ti gie for a good 3 months. Introducing new foods can irritate as well. Dani’s suggestions can help   I started week 3 eating normal foods but only soft food poached  eggs custards etc it was a good while before I ate a normal 3 meals a day. You  need to watch out for oral thrush as well as that can cause pain. It doesn’t last forever but it’s also a marathon not a sprint make sure he’s getting around 2500 calories daily his body needs food to heal. I supplemented with the 2 kl bottles if ensure which made sure I had enough calories going in. 
    Hazel x

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

My blog is www.radioactiveraz.wordpress.com  HPV 16+ tonsil cancer Now 5 years  post treatment. 35 radiotherapy 2 chemo T2N2NM.Happily getting on with living always happy to help