Worried

• 21 replies
  • 125 subscribers

Hi guys 

I am wondering if I’m worrying too much or right to be concerned ? 

Briefly I had melanoma cancer couple years back . It was stage 1a so easily treated . However I’ve read that once you have one cancer you are at more risk of another . 

In the last few months I’ve been unwell . I had terrible cough mid April which lasted a couple weeks . I then recovered from that . However since then I’ve had a continuous sore throat and ears . The ear issue has slightly abated but still comes and goes . The sore throat is not painfully sore but just a nuisance .  I also have that horrible globus feeling at times . 

i eat lots of strep sweets etc to soothe it . Anyway couple weeks ago I saw gp and she took blood tests which were all fine. She said if still sore in two weeks I should go back to her . I’m currently waiting on appointment . I also have an issue called TMJ which impacts on my jaw and ears and mouth . 

She has referred me to local ENT but not as “ urgent “ I think i should be seen urgently due to my past experience ? What do others think ? She said when I see her again she may try anti biotics or a throat spray ? 

I try not to worry but as with any suspect cancers the quicker seen the better .

thanks in advance 

• Hi Mike can I ask what symptoms did you have and how Long had you had them ? 

• Yes I might try that . Thanks 

• Not Mike .......but please you're driving yourself mad doing this. Waiting is really pants, I know this but trying to find an answer that points you to NOT having cancer is going to make you insane with worry. We all do it. I did it with Google even though being medically qualified I knew what I was reading.

I know it's hard but you just have to leave it to the professionals. Insist on a timely referral or make an appointment privately if your finances will run to it. You could do that now and cancel if your NHS one comes through quickly. I did just that myself.

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • My first time around I had absolutely nothing other than a small swelling (tonsil area) on the right side of my neck. I actually only went to my GP because I'd had motor scooter incident in Greece and my wrist was hurting; in the waiting room I felt a bit daft because the pain had gone away so I decided to mention the lump....luckily as it turned out.

Community Champion Badge

Metastatic SCC diagnosed 8th October 2013. Modified radical neck dissection November, thirty-five radiotherapy fractions with 2xCisplatin chemo Jan/Feb 2014. Recurrence on larynx diagnosed July 2020 so salvage laryngectomy in September 2020.

http://mike-o.blogspot.co.uk/

• Hi beesuit yea I do have some health anxiety with having had cancer before . I may consider a private consultation and see what they say ? I had to go private before with my melanoma initially . 

• Ok that’s interesting to read regarding having a lump . I can’t seem to feel any presently which is good . 

• Hi Adam55 and welcome from me.  I can see that you are very anxious about the situation.  Lots of good advice already.  Firstly we have all been in your position and understand what a bad time this is waiting for action.  Some of us handle it better than others. Google is definitely not your friend at this moment in time.  

I think most of us here have presented differently from others with the same cancer.  It seems to be the nature of the beast.  My first time round it was an enlarged lymph that did not go down, the second time I did not know anything was amiss - just an observant consultant.  Absolutely no pain.

Nobody except the ENT consultant can diagnose anything.  The GP will only have a vague idea of what is going on and be following a protocol based on years of clinical experience.  That is why there is a referral for you.  It would be helpful for your referral appointment if you could write down your history - probably reviewing it a few times to get the detail and order correct.  At that appointment we all get concerned and confused and often wish we had said more or mentioned something.  Thus writing it all down will help clear your mind and ensure your consultant has as much useful information as possible.  Almost certainly you are not going to get an answer on the spot and you need to prepare yourself for that.  Most of us have further diagnostics to aid in the final diagnosis and these take time to do.

In the meantime we will try to keep you on the straight and narrow and focussed on the next step rather than an unknown pathway.  Hold on to the fact that most H&N cancers are very curable and there are many still on here that are living proof of that fact.

Peter
    See my profile for more details of my convoluted journey
  • Hi Peter thanks for that detailed reply . It’s appreciated . I have been to ent before as I had to get mouth biopsy last year . It turned out to be kerortosis on the gums so was nothing too serious so I’ve been through the waiting game before , including the melanoma a couple years back . As you said the ent will only know after several tests so I just need to keep my anxiety at bay . 

• Hang on in there Adam. Fingers crossed for you 

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • I’ve got private on Tuesday with a consultant so that’s moving things forward . I’ve also been prescribed anti biotics from my gp for my sire throat and I’ve just finished day one of 5 days so they may be of help