Worried

• 21 replies
  • 126 subscribers

Hi guys 

I am wondering if I’m worrying too much or right to be concerned ? 

Briefly I had melanoma cancer couple years back . It was stage 1a so easily treated . However I’ve read that once you have one cancer you are at more risk of another . 

In the last few months I’ve been unwell . I had terrible cough mid April which lasted a couple weeks . I then recovered from that . However since then I’ve had a continuous sore throat and ears . The ear issue has slightly abated but still comes and goes . The sore throat is not painfully sore but just a nuisance .  I also have that horrible globus feeling at times . 

i eat lots of strep sweets etc to soothe it . Anyway couple weeks ago I saw gp and she took blood tests which were all fine. She said if still sore in two weeks I should go back to her . I’m currently waiting on appointment . I also have an issue called TMJ which impacts on my jaw and ears and mouth . 

She has referred me to local ENT but not as “ urgent “ I think i should be seen urgently due to my past experience ? What do others think ? She said when I see her again she may try anti biotics or a throat spray ? 

I try not to worry but as with any suspect cancers the quicker seen the better .

thanks in advance 

• Also forgot to mention I often have to feel like I need to clear my throat and in the last few days have had a slight cough. 

I have also had boils on not face now and then , last week I had 5 different ones ! But they all burst . 

When I spoke with the gp she went through the check list for a referral to ent and it came back as “ low risk “ 

I am aware that these symptoms can be less worrying conditions like dry mouth , GERD etc 

• Hi Adam, welcome to the group, the things you have listed can be worrying and play on your mind. To put your mind at rest you could ask your GP to send you for an ENT referral sooner rather than later. Bear in mind 90% of referrals are nothing to worry about. All the best.

Regards Ray.

• I agree with Ray. Go back to your GP to put your mind at rest. What’s low risk anyway? It might just be reflux but you need to know. Most referrals are not cancer. 
    Good luck and fingers crossed it’s nothing 

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Hi guys I spoke to my gp today . She has given me anti biotics but will also flag up the referral as “ urgent “ as I have ongoing symptoms , such as cough and the sore thread snd ears . If I dimg hear within a week I might have to contact my msp to ask them to contact the nhs to complain . I just feel things are not improving . , whatever the issue is . I did get my ears Syringed yesterday and the guy noted that I almost have a perforated ear drum in one of my ears . 

• The “ low risk “ is calculated by the ent referral form depending on symptoms 

• Is there any significance that the rat pain is both ears not Just one 

• Ear not “ rat “ lol 

• Is there any significance that the rat pain is both ears not Just one 

I don’t think any of us can say. 
    All I might suggest is that you find out from your GP which consultant you’re booked in with and if you don’t hear in two weeks phone their secretary. 

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • I don't think it's possible to speculate on the ear pain, I had none. I was also "low risk" as per the guidelines for fast track referral but my GP, who's brilliant, referred me anyway.

Fingers crossed there's a non-sinister explanation.

Community Champion Badge

Metastatic SCC diagnosed 8th October 2013. Modified radical neck dissection November, thirty-five radiotherapy fractions with 2xCisplatin chemo Jan/Feb 2014. Recurrence on larynx diagnosed July 2020 so salvage laryngectomy in September 2020.

http://mike-o.blogspot.co.uk/

• Yes I think that too . It’s more regarding the back of throat pain . Surely that should mean a referral regardless of any of symptoms ? I am referred to ent but not as “ urgent “ as yet .