Tonsil cancer newly diagnosed

• 69 replies
  • 132 subscribers

Hello - I've been reading many of the posts here over the last few days and decided to take the plunge and share my news, with the hope of getting some advice and calming words!

I was diagnosed with cancer in the left tonsil last Tuesday and my world  just stopped - all I could think about and still think about is my 7 year-old son. Ever since then my head has been in a spin and I've gone from a really dark place and in tears to pretty positive and in fighting spirit! in the space of 10 minutes, several times per day!

The left tonsil had been swollen since Feb/March and  after an MRI scan my consultant decided to remove it and biopsy the whole thing, on 6 May. Recovery from the surgery was tough pain-wise, but I healed really well. Since diagnosis, the consultant put the wheels in motion really quickly and in less than a week I've had: a call from the coordinating oncology nurse, a CT scan this morning, a dental appointment and a follow-up meeting with the consultant tomorrow and I'm also booked in to see the oncologist next Monday! My head is spinning!

I'm 50 years old and otherwise fit and healthy. But I'm absolutely terrified about seeing him tomorrow in case he says sorry the cancer is in the lung, or it's everywhere, there's not much they can do.... I'm really overthinking and getting myself into a bit of a state!  I know there's nothing I can do but my mind is racing and jumping to negative conclusions.  

It's good to read the stories on this group though as they are inspiring, full of advice, hopeful and down to earth. 

Helen x

• Hello - I have an update after meeting with my consultant today and finally it's some 'good' news.

The scan I had yesterday of my chest and lungs is clear - no spread! It is stage 1 tonsil cancer, in left tonsil only. There may be 1 or 2 lymphs involved on left side only (but less than 10mm), but right-hand side is completely clear. It is HPV+ which the consultant had anticipated, given my overall health and age, and this means it will respond really well to radiotherapy. I know I'm not out of the woods yet as I have a big journey ahead, BUT I'm so relieved!

I'll see the oncologist next Monday to discuss the treatment plan in detail. The RT that they use here (North Wales) is called IMRT which my consultant says is absolutely amazing as it is very targeted and he's seen recovery times reduce since he's been a consultant surgeon in Wales. It is potentially kinder in terms of recovery as it will not impact saliva, glands, jawbone on my righthand side. 

• Shapes radiation intensity to the unique size and shape of the tumor.
    • Accurately delivers high-dose radiation, potentially increasing treatment effectiveness.
    • Avoids radiation of healthy organs and tissues, reducing side effects and complications.

My treatment will likely include Chemo (induction chemo  + 2-3 cycles, depends on what oncologist says) and I'm probably looking at around 6 weeks of RT give or take...

It's weird to be 'happy' or relieved about having a diagnosis of HPV+ cancer of the tonsil but weirdly I am Smiley And it plays into my dark sense of humour a bit!

I'll update more as I know more. Thanks to you all for being there for me when I reached out, I appreciate it more than you'll ever know.

Helen xx

• Well done Helen at least you should be feeling a little better 

IMRT is standard these days and some centres use VMAT which is even more focused. I was treated at the other end of wales in Swansea.

I managed to avoid chemo as I had no nodal spread 

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Hi Helen weirdly I felt the same thjnk I skipped out of oncologist meeting. Ypi had VMAT Do you’re north wales we’re off ti Caernarfon mud July for a week   Where are you being treated Clatterbridge?  Your mind will ease niw. Just remember baby steis stick with us and keep off google. 
    m hugs Hazel xx

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

My blog is www.radioactiveraz.wordpress.com  HPV 16+ tonsil cancer Now 5 years  post treatment. 35 radiotherapy 2 chemo T2N2NM.Happily getting on with living always happy to help  

• That all sounds very positive, I'm pleased it has eased, your worries.

Regards Ray.

• Hi 

Sorry to hear of your diagnosis but the news it is stage 1 is very positive..you have also came to the right place. I was diagnosed stage 4 tonsil, tongue and lymph glands 4 years ago...I was 55 at the time and in reasonable shape. As I was stage 4 I had chemotherapy and radiotherapy which was tough but very doable. I am now back to a normal life and work and play golf weekly. 

My advice is. 

1 stay off Google,, everyone on here has been down this road and their advice is way better than some of the nonsense others spread

2 ger someone you trust to come to every consultation...I only heard what I wanted to hear 

3. Try and find something to maintain your fitness...I walked 8 miles a day when I could...it's generally all you can control but also gave me time on my own to process what I was going through 

4 try and maintain a positive attitude...my kids were at a sensitive age and the last thing they needed was watching me fall apart...it really helps although I agree difficult to maintain.

Good luck and I'm sure you've got this

Chas

• That's great, Dani! Yes, I think Wales seems to be leading in some areas at least, and are open to doing things differently perhaps 

They couldn't confirm any lymph involved, but there were 2 slightly enlarged that he pointed out and said he'd expect 1 or 2,  but both were under 10mm (and the chem/ RT would target and clear them out if cancerous). But nothing at all on right side. I'm thankful for small mercies!! 

I'll continue to keep my fingers crossed for a positive reaction and I'm eating a really healthy organic diet to build my immune system up ready for battle!

Will be back with a million questions no doubt Smiley

Hx

• I'm based in Wrexham, where I have my consultant appointments and wlll take the chemo; then, they do the RT in Glan Clwyd (near St Asaph). It's a 45-min drive so will be a bit arduous once I have to go 5 days a week. But I have a number of family members and friends who've offered to drive on the occasions my hubby can't - but it'll mostly be Martin driving. I'm feeling much more positive this evening and will stay away from Dr. Google Smiley

Helen x

• Hi Helen you’ll get into a routine. It’s good to have others to help with the driving. My drive was up  to 90  minutes  as I always had morning  appointments so had the m11 and m62 rush hour bonus was in way home  no traffic. John my hubby did  all the driving apart from  one day a week when friends neighbours chipped in. 
    The radiotherapy team will be your daily point of contact so any issues let them know there in the best place to help. Just take everything ine day at a time. Hopefully tonight your will sleep well as I bet your heads been all over the place.
    Ask away any questions Hazel xx

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

My blog is www.radioactiveraz.wordpress.com  HPV 16+ tonsil cancer Now 5 years  post treatment. 35 radiotherapy 2 chemo T2N2NM.Happily getting on with living always happy to help  

• Ah thanks, Chas! It's brilliant to hear you've got through to the other side and are back on the golf course! That makes me smile Slight smile

I totally agree about positive attitude and as I'm normally glass half full the past week, since diagnosis, and awaiting scan results really knocked me off balance. It's also difficult to have so little control so positivity and exercise will be a must. I'll walk the dog whenever I can and I have a cross trainer. I also do pilates, my friend is my teacher, but I suspect I may go back to beginner level with no planking Smiley

My son is 7 and changing every day! I'm a bit worried about what to say but there is advice on this site about talking to various age groups when I need to, in his language. I'm not sure if I'll lose all my hair or it will just thin, but will cross that bridge .... As long as he also still sees mummy laughing and reading to him I think he'll adapt even if I'm a lot more tired - kids are amazing like that aren't they? He dealt well after my tonsillectomy a couple of weeks back and the pain was pretty horrendous for a few days.

Thanks for your advice, all really excellent.

Helen x

• Thanks Hazel - all great advice and yes I will sleep tonight!

Helen x