Base of Tongue with spread to Lymph Nodes in Neck

• 84 replies
  • 131 subscribers

Hello my name is Dan. I live in Canada. It is newly diagnosed and still waiting for CT scan to see how far it has spread. Several lymph nodes in the neck are swollen. A biopsy on the node on the left side of the neck next to my thyroid showed squamous cell cancer. I am a 66-year old male in other wise good physical condition. Non-smoker.

If the cancer has not spread into my chest cavity they will treat me with radiation and chemo therapy. No surgery is planned at this time.

How important is diet at this stage. Does anybody have experience low alkaline diets? 

Any input is welcomed. 

Thanks in advance.

Dan

• Hi Helen,

I'm scheduled to start chemo and iMRT Radiation treatment this coming Monday June 20th. I won't know what type of chemo I will receive until I get there. I don't think I'm going to get the immunotherapy due to it delaying my chemo and iMRT Radiation treatments.

I'll keep you posted on how things progress.

All the best!

Dan

• Hi Dan usual chemo is cisplatin. 
    Just take everything one day at a time. 
    Hazel x

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

My blog is www.radioactiveraz.wordpress.com  HPV 16+ tonsil cancer Now 5 years  post treatment. 35 radiotherapy 2 chemo T2N2NM.Happily getting on with living always happy to help  

• Hi Hazel, My oncologist was thinking about using carboplatin as my hearing is already impaired due to working around heavy equipment in the oil and gas industry. This was prior to hearing protection being mandated.

Apparently carboplatin is not as hard on the ears and kidneys although it is slightly less effective  in stopping cancer cells from growing.

I guess I'll find out what he decided on Monday. I did have further bloodwork done today for kidney function so he may base his decision on the results. I have not had any negative results for kidney function in the past so I doubt that that has changed recently.

As you say, "one day at a time."

Cheers,

Dan 

• Apparently carboplatin is not as hard on the ears and kidneys although it is slightly less effective  in stopping cancer cells from growing.

Hi Danno. Both cisplatin and carboplatin are radio sensitisers. This means that they make the radiation more effective. I think an often quoted figure is around 5% for improving cure rates. Ask your oncologist to explain that changing to Carboplatin or even missing one chemo won't affect your prognosis much. There are plenty of people who for one reason or another can't have the whole course.

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Hi Danno Yes carbo platin is an alternative to cisplatin. As Daninsays it’s often  we don’t complete all courses of chemo i only did 2 of a planned three. Radiotherapy is the main event so to speak chemo adds between 4-5%to the final results.My hubby also worked in heavy industry underground coal mining and potash so totally with you in hearing loss.  You don’t want any more so yes carbo,platin is gentler. My cisplatin was stopped for 2 reasons i had  experienced slight tinnitus after round 2 and my big ky oh code had gone so why take the risk for a few per cent was my thoughts. Mondays will come and it will go you will get into a routine. Let us know how you get on. 
    Hazel 

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

My blog is www.radioactiveraz.wordpress.com  HPV 16+ tonsil cancer Now 5 years  post treatment. 35 radiotherapy 2 chemo T2N2NM.Happily getting on with living always happy to help  

• Hi Dan - best wished for Monday! It will be a 'relief' to get started in a way, just to get into the routine I think. I'll be starting 1 week after you, on June 27th, so it'll be good to share experiences - both good and not so good!

I'll be having Cisplatin (x2) - one on the 29th, then another 4 weeks later. I'm sure your team will give you the most  suitable one for you and as Dani says, some don't finish the course - the RT is the headline act Smiley

Keep us posted, good luck,

Helen x

• Hi Helen,

I've had two sessions now; thirty-three to go. They started me out on Monday with Carboplatin (due to concerns of further hearing loss) and then straight to the iMRT machine. Everything was uneventful and ran smoothly. I haven't experienced any ill side effects but it is early in the game. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I'll be getting the Carboplatin once a week for the seven weeks.

It was indeed a weight off of my shoulders in getting on with it!

All the best with your sessions starting next week!

Cheers,

Dan

• Good to hear your treatment is running smoothly so far, Dan, and hoping for a 'comfortable' (enough) ride for you and all of us!

Helen x

• Hi Helen,

I have two weeks behind now overall went very well. I have some throat discomfort (dry and raspy) but other than that all is good.

You must be starting week two on Monday? I hope week one went well for you.

I do expect more side effects going into week three but hopefully nothing that I can't handle. I have a decent appetite still so haven't dropped any weight. 

Two down and five to go!

All the best,

Dan 

• Keep that positive attitude up. It makes life easier. After all it’s only a few weeks out of your life. Look forward to a decent Christmas dinner 

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge