New Cancer diagnosis

• 18 replies
  • 129 subscribers

Hi Everyone,

Unfortunately, I’ve just been diagnosed with a salivary duct tumour. I’m in my 30’s with a busy life and two young kids and I’m very worried about the future. I’ve had a lump in my neck for about 6 months and had repeated visits to the doctors, each time with the message it’s probably nothing to worry about. I pressed on with it and eventually got referred for further tests to “rule it out” so was hugely surprised when I got the news.

The consultant believes it is operable subject to further scans proving it hasn’t spread, but it sounds like a particularly rare and aggressive tumour that needs sorting fast. After that there may be a few weeks of radiotherapy. If it has spread I really don’t know what’s next.

I don’t know what I’m seeking posting this , I guess everyone who gets a cancer diagnosis is full of why’s and what’s and anxiety. I’d like say I’m positive having made it through a few challenges in life, but saying it and being it are different. 

Id love to hear if there are some stories out there with a happy ending

• First off very sorry you find yourself here but it's a good place to be given the circumstances, that sounds contradictory but I'm sure you get my drift.

Very difficult to give any specific thoughts given the early and vague stage you're at, that we've all been through as well; but I'd just say at this point that there are many and varied stories with a happy ending here, far more happy endings than sad ones in fact. 

Keep us updated as you know more and you'll get loads of support and advice, people on here are brilliant. I'd just also add that your age and fitness will help very much, stay positive.

Oh, and don't use Dr Google under any circumstances.

Community Champion Badge

Metastatic SCC diagnosed 8th October 2013. Modified radical neck dissection November, thirty-five radiotherapy fractions with 2xCisplatin chemo Jan/Feb 2014. Recurrence on larynx diagnosed July 2020 so salvage laryngectomy in September 2020.

http://mike-o.blogspot.co.uk/

• Hi welcome to our small community group sorry you’ve had to find us. I’m Hazel and am  3 years snd 3 month post radiotherapy for tonsil cancer with several affected lymph nodes. I’m happily living my life riding my bike snd looking forward to Christmas. I had 35 radiotherapy sessions  and 2 chemo. The part you are in now the waiting game is the worst part. Once you get your treatment plan and it starts everything falls into place. I am a glass half full person snd I managed to retain my positive mental attitude throughout treatment snd recovery. It’s no walk in the park but I was 61 when diagnosed. We are all different and react in different ways. Sorry your diagnosis took so long. I first found my lump in March 2018 but was away treatment started 14 July 2018 you’ve got age on your side as Mike says  

many questions just ask someone will get back to you. 
    Hazel 

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

My blog is www.radioactiveraz.wordpress.com  HPV 16+ tonsil cancer Now 5 years  post treatment. 35 radiotherapy 2 chemo T2N2NM.Happily getting on with living always happy to help  

• Hi firstly sorry about your diagnosis!! It was August this year when I was diagnosed with vocal cord cancer which I really wasn't expecting to hear  but I couldn't fault the medical team I had from the start "absolutely fantastic "....it's been hard at times after radiotherapy but worth it as I was told there is no sign of  the cancer only two weeks ago...just stay positive and take it day by day, all the best.

• Thanks all for your supportive words. I went for a run today and felt much better afterwards. Yes the cancer is there but so is the rest of me.

I’ll do my best to stay positive and get into the one day at a time mindset

• Good news exercise really helps do it while you can. Then during treatment just adapt your expectations .Ok I’m 64 now but just got back to cycling 60 km when we go out. That was my goal post treatment taken me a few years to get there. But one day at a time and baby steps got me there. 
    Hazel 

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

My blog is www.radioactiveraz.wordpress.com  HPV 16+ tonsil cancer Now 5 years  post treatment. 35 radiotherapy 2 chemo T2N2NM.Happily getting on with living always happy to help  

• Hi and welcome from me too.

There are a few threads, some fairly recently HERE if you's like to join in. 

Stick with it and trust your team. If your consultant thinks it's operable it surely is.

Keep in touch and let us know how you get on.

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Hi Racingdad and welcome to the forum.

I was diagnosed with cancer on the base of my tongue in May 2018.  I had robotic surgery on my tongue, neck dissection followed 6 weeks later by radiotherapy.  I'm still here!!

Linda x

• Hello,

So the PET scan didn’t worry the surgeons hence I’m pencilled in for surgery this week. A neck dissection which sounds dreadful :-( and parotidectomy.

Feeling a bit all over really, lucky that surgery is possible but at the same time nervous about having a big operation, plus with everything in the news with omicron I just hope the surgery isn’t delayed. The surgeons seem confident that I’ll make a good recovery and that’s given me some positivity.

I’m aware I haven’t accepted the cancer diagnosis yet, I guess it takes time. I don’t have any of the cancer risk factors as part of my lifestyle, in fact quite the opposite. Hey, life isn’t fair. In my case it just happened. I’m an analytical type, an engineer by trade though so i’m finding it hard to accept. 

Anyway, thanks all for your encouragement. Everyone I’ve spoken to plus you guys have been great. I’ve met with the Macmillan nurses and what amazing people they are. I hope to one day repay my gratitude with some fundraising in the London marathon or similar.

• You are in great hands and you'll be running that Marathon yet. I managed a London Marathon once in my life. Wanted to try again to actually be able to enjoy the day instead of doing all the wrong things first time but I never got another ballot place. Go for it...you'll be fine. Lots of folk have had neck dissections and while they are drastic if you pay attention to the physio when you have healed you'll do well. I hope you are home for Christmas.

I'll tag Peter who is our "expert" in neck dissections and I hope he'll pop on with some words of advice

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Hi there. Getting out for regular runs will be a huge boost both mentally and physically and will undoubtedly help you with your healing. I had a tonsillectomy and neck dissection followed by RT and chemo last autumn with treatment ending in January this year and I was, (and am again), a three-times-a-week runner. Keep on going until your body tells you to stop. I kept running until my second week of radio/chemotherapy and after that took long daily walks. I’m now back to running and did 14k, including Parkrun, yesterday morning. It has helped me enormously through all I’ve been through in the past year or so.

Good luck with the treatment. It drags at times but is worth it Thumbsup