Hello just diagnosed squamous cancer on my tongue.

• 19 replies
  • 129 subscribers

Hello 

Im new to your site. Can anybody help me from the beginning of 
being diagnosed - Squamous cancer on the side of my tongue!!!

Im terrified of what’s to come and already getting fed up with people

Saying NOT TO WORRY XXX

• Oh Dear that sounds awful! Did the actual biopsy say you had cancer?

What did your scans show?

CT

• The secondary was cancer.  The scans originally indicated areas that were found  to be clear in histopathology.  Visual observation found the tongue primary, which was then biopsied and proven to be the same as found in the lymph node.

Scans between biopsy and the main tongue operation never showed anything...  Sometimes these tumours can be small and below the resolution of the scanning machines.  I believe CT scans can see something around 5mm in size and MRI slightly smaller.  PET scans need mass for the take-up of the radioactive tracer.

Don't get too worked up on the clinical technicalities of your diagnosis.  Trust in your consultant and the teams in the hospital.  I like to take control of my treatment and have worked in the NHS for many years so that is quite easy for me and I do understand the medical technology.  Not everyone does, or wants to.

You will be fine and it is very rare to find someone with a treatment pathway like mine.  I am way off what is normally found Wink

Peter
    See my profile for more details of my convoluted journey
  • Hi clockhouse

I was diagnosed with SCC of tongue and floor of mouth t2 n1 m0 4 years ago. If you want to send a friend request or have any questions I may be able to help

Wendy

• Thank You so Much - Not sure how to send a friend request on here x

• Hover your pointer over Wendy's avatar. You'll see an option to request friendship

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Hi it is difficult not to worry as like others have said, keep off Google and get your facts from your oncologist and nurse. Friends although well meaning will give you cancer stories, i found it best telling them that I didnt want to hear. Everyone's cancer is different and how we deal with it is different too. I was diagnosed ssc back in march. I have had 2 surgeries last in august. No radio or chemo needed. Keep faith in the process and yourself. The most damaging part of this for myself has been recovery and mental health as psychologically it has sent me in a spin. Be guided by your oncology team and be kind to yourself. If you want to know in detail what my op involved feel free to ask. 

• Hi Clockhouse

I was diagnosed with base of tongue cancer in 2018 which was removed using robotic surgery together with a neck dissection.

You've had some brilliant replies so far - this forum is great for support and advice.

Linda x 

• Thank You so much for the support Marj - when I know anything I will update this thread x

• Thank You so much for your support Linda - when I find out something further I will update this thread asking all sorts of questions x