Awaiting full diagnosis

• 80 replies
  • 128 subscribers

Hello there, 

I'm new to this group. 

My partner has just been diagnosed with basaloid squamous cell carcinoma, found in his lymph gland. 

As far as i can see this is a more aggressive form of SCC. 

Next steps are for them to do a PET CT for them to try and identify areas to biopsy under pandendoscopy. 

They are obviosuly looking for the primary site, but say in 5% of cases they don't find this. 

Once they have completed these investigations will decide on surgery or chemo or both, as next stage of 'management' (I hate this word). 

He is 41. 

I've gone to absolute pieces, and I know I shouldn't play 'Dr Google' but it's so difficult waiting when the prognosis already sounds so bad. 

I know I need to be strong to support him but i'm finding it incredibly difficult. 

Any tips or advice would be greatly welcomed :) 

Thank you, 

Cat 

• It's the torture of knowing that it's aggressive....my mind keeps saying that because it's in the lymph gland already and so big where else or what else could it be. He has had cameras and CT scans already and they haven't found anything so far which just makes me more worried. 

• Cat. That’s normal. We all think the worst. It’s a horrid thing to have to gulp down our fear and wait for results. There’s plenty of people here who presented with classic symptoms of lymph node enlargement for months before treatment started and they have been cured. If neither of you are sleeping see if your GP can prescribe some mild sleeping pills. If you are knackered all the time it’s even harder to cope. Whatever, it’s out of your control and I know that’s the hardest part 

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Hi Cat if it’s any reassurance mine was in several lymph nodes whrn I was first diagnosed by start Iof treatment it was in 7. I couldn’t have surgery as one was too close to lymph node. Your hibby is 20 years younger than me.  Ask me what am I doing tidsy ? I’m in spsin tifing my bike. It’s no use saying don’t worry ad you will do but ibis tske the mantra why worry over something I’ve no control over. I’ve got a friend via cancer in Australia his was small cell cancee he was 38 and one if only 14 in the world to present with small cell Ora pharyngeal suffice to say he’s just celebrated his 40 this snd his wife is 18 weeks pregnant. 

just rant at us. Yes a tripo to  g p might help you 

Me today xHazel 

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

My blog is www.radioactiveraz.wordpress.com  HPV 16+ tonsil cancer Now 5 years  post treatment. 35 radiotherapy 2 chemo T2N2NM.Happily getting on with living always happy to help  

• Thank you Hazel

This is really reassuring I can't tell you- you're looking fantastic in Spain 

I'm going to contact my GP today 

We've just found out his PET CT is tomorrow and panendoscopy on Tuesday so they obviously aren't hanging around now they know 

• Hi Cat excellent re pet ct scan they don’t hang around once you’re on the pathway it’s all systems go. The pet ct scan involves being injected with a radioactive serum then he has to lay still in a room some allow  yoh to read mine didn’t  tgen the scan it’s self around 30 mins then home it csn be cool whije waiting so pop a fieece in fir him no phones allowed. Then fir 24 hours don’t be near pregnant ladies or children was my advise. So just ask tomorrow. The os endoscopy I was allowed home same day. 
    once this gs start to move your feet won’t touch the ground. Scan results can take anythjng from 3-14 days they need to be peer reviewed then discussed 

Good luck Hazel thank you feel well and living life to max xx

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

My blog is www.radioactiveraz.wordpress.com  HPV 16+ tonsil cancer Now 5 years  post treatment. 35 radiotherapy 2 chemo T2N2NM.Happily getting on with living always happy to help  

• Thanks Hazel 

I can't see anyone anywhere in this forum post about the basaloid SCC, only SCC, which is bothering me no end.....  

• Hi  Cat not everyone wants to know the ins and outs of their. Cancers like you said it’s rare but that doesn’t mean they can’t treat ut  I work in a need to know basis the more I knew via oncologist and team the better I dealt with everything. Just bide yiur time get a list of questions for when you meet either surgeon or  oncologist and don’t leave the meeting until you’re satisfied with answers

It really a waiting game which is the worst part.

HaZzel x. I

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

• Hi Cat if you put basaloid cancer in general search use the magnifying glass top right corner but instead of hesfc snd neck click everywhere. There’s a few posts on anal cancer where people have been told the same as you found by searching on google. It may reassure you they had lymph node spread but no spread   Which is what our lymph nodes are designed to do if that makes sense  

hazel 

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

• I can't see anyone anywhere in this forum post about the basaloid SCC, only SCC, which is bothering me no end.....  

Hi Cat. This forum is by its nature self selecting. The vast majority of cancer patients never ever come here. I've looked up that 5% of oropharyngeal SCC is basaloid so the odds of anybody with that posting here are very long.That's why there aren't any....

So don't read anything into that. The scans are imminent and you'll know in a week or so. It's the not knowing that drives us mad.....we imagine all sorts. Stop researching. You WILL drive yourself mad. There's nothing to do till the oncologist sits you both down with a plan. I know it's hard but the time will pass. Keep the faith

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Thank you both, you're a real lifeline to me right now. 

I went to my GP who suggested i take the time off work but don't know if that would be a help or a hindrance. 

I can't concentrate but equally distraction may be good so who knows. I have some sleeping tablets now too now so hopefully can get some sleep.