Palliative radiotherapy

• 47 replies
  • 128 subscribers

Hello

my dad has been diagnosed with advanced oropharyngeal cancer. The consultant said they can't operate and he can't have chemotherapy but he can have palliative radiotherapy. Now I'm so worried because my dad has lost a lot of weight though not being able to eat and is now on RIG feeding. He weighs about 7 stone, he's very weak and tired all of the time, what will this radiotherapy do to him? They are offering him 10 rounds of radiotherapy, 1 a day for 5 days then 2 weeks off, then another 5 over the following week. This seems a lot to me for someone so frail. What are your thoughts please?

• Hi Onlychild

That's great that your dad has decided himself to try the radiotherapy.  Having made that decision, if he starts the treatment but finds it too much I suppose he always has the option of stopping.

Do make sure your parents have a contact number for the Clinical Nurse so they can phone at any time if they need to.

Wishing you all the best.

Linda x

• Hi Linda.

Yes it is good, I just hope it doesn’t make him feel worse than he already does, but like you say he will be able to stop any time he wants to. We have a local hospice nurse who went to visit yesterday and the Clinical nurse has been today. It’s good they’re keeping in touch with my parent’s. My mom said there are a few people who call up daily so I’m happy about that. Thanks for that though, any help or advice is invaluable x

• My Dad can’t have radiotherapy now. He’s back in hospital with fluid on one of his lungs and he’s on oxygen as he was struggling to breathe, his oxygen levels were between 40 and 50% and was rushed into hospital. He had a blood transfusion last night so hopefully that will help. He’s stable. I’m just heart broken for him as my dad just wants to go home now because that’s where he desperately wants to be Cry

• Hi so sorry to hear your news. Everything x that he gets home soon. 
    Hazel xx

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

My blog is www.radioactiveraz.wordpress.com  HPV 16+ tonsil cancer Now 5 years  post treatment. 35 radiotherapy 2 chemo T2N2NM.Happily getting on with living always happy to help  

• Hi Onlychild I’m sorry I haven’t got back to you.. life is just so busy right now with dads daily radiotherapy sessions and managing the kids! I’m so sorry about your dad not being able to have radiotherapy (this was my fear when the operation was cancelled) I can only imagine what you and your family are feeling. I’m glad to here your dad is now stable, I can’t believe how quickly this cancer can take over your body. Every couple of days I see my dad changing it’s so horrible to see. Dads having his feeding tube put in tomorrow. 
    sending your dad, you and your family all my prayers

• I'm so sorry to hear of this development.  Hopefully this latest treatment will make him more comfortable and stable so he can go home.  Thoughts are with you.

Peter
    See my profile for more details of my convoluted journey
  • Hi Moo, 

I hope your Dad is doing ok and I’m glad he’s managed to get treatment. I hope you and your family are bearing up too, it’s hard trying to run a home and family whilst your parent is going through these awful times. It greatly affects us too, I’m fine at work and then I’m a mess when at home, it’s just so hard. Well my dad came off the oxygen and things seemed to be improving somewhat but he’s back on the oxygen now. It’s his birthday today and my sons also and the hospital said we can both go and visit which will be nice for both of them. Hopefully he can come out in the next day or two, it depends on his infection. He thought he was coming home today, he seemed happy (as much as he could be) yesterday but today is yet another smack in the face. Thank you for replying. These forums really help. Take care and all the best to your dad x

• Thanks Peter

it's just one thing after another at the moment. The most we can ask for now is exactly that…my dad being comfortable and pain free. Hope you’re doing well.

• Thank you Hazel, this is our wish too. It’s his birthday today as well. Hope you’re doing ok and thanks for your reply x

• I'm so sorry to read about the further complications for your dad but hope seeing you and your son today will perk him up.  At least he's in the right place at the moment to deal with these things in a very timely manner.

Fingers crossed he's well enough to return home soon.

Take care of yourself.

Linda x