Recently diagnosed with T1N2 BOT hpv cancer. I just want to say hi on this group.

• 109 replies
  • 138 subscribers

I just thought I would join this group to say hi and find some support by  reading other people’s stories.  I am quite scared at the moment.  I go to the Royal Marsden on Monday to get my mask made etc.  

• Hi Lizzie. It is they are your first point of contact every day you have  radiotherapy and or chemo.They need to know how you are feeling. Plus they can help with pain meds by time you finish you’ll rival boots in paraphernalia.

Hazel 

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

My blog is www.radioactiveraz.wordpress.com  HPV 16+ tonsil cancer Now 5 years  post treatment. 35 radiotherapy 2 chemo T2N2NM.Happily getting on with living always happy to help  

• I was 61 when I got diagnosed.  The dog walking will stand you in good stead as I believe exercise is essential to your quick recovery and there is little better than walking the dogs.  You also have lots to keep you busy with the other animals, all of which will help you mental state as you go forwards.

You may want to put in place a plan for the animals for the time when you may not feel up to looking after them.

Being slim and a non smoker will also help, but remember to keep the weight as near to correct as possible as you go through treatment.  It sounds like you have everything in your favour at the moment, which is good going into treatment.

Peter
    See my profile for more details of my convoluted journey
  • Hi Peter.  Yes, I agree about the animals.  We have made arrangements for all of them to be looked after.  I will really miss the dogs but it will all be too much I think.  When I am on treatment will I be able to go for a little walk?   Or is anything like that impossible?  I feel that maybe I will have to be on the sofa all the time?  Can anyone share what they could do so I can have some idea please. Thankyou.  Lizzie

• Hi Lizzie,

I think most people will agree. Get out for a walk every day if you can. The exercise and fresh air is good. I couldn't get out on chemo days as they were long days and I was tired. I didn't walk as much as others, but was also struggling with arthritis which wasn't diagnosed until after treatment. We'd got a puppy about 5 weeks before I started diagnosis. Getting out with her has helped my recovery. There was an article in The Times a week ago about exercise helping the body to fight cancer. Many of us also found it good for wellbeing too. In all honesty I found the 3 weeks after treatment tougher than treatment. You may find yourself eating some rubbish to keep the calories up, you need to keep your mask snug, so the exercise and fresh air will help with the trade off to keep you feeling as good as you can. Even 17 weeks after treatment if feeling tired I get up to walk the pooch at 5.30 then pop back to bed for a nap. You just have to listen to your body. 

Wishing you the very best with treatment. 

Take care, Ronnie 

• Hi Lizzie

We are all different.  I'm 3 weeks out of treatment (35 RT and 6 chemos)and went for a 4km walk yesterday.  I've always walked a lot though and throughout treatment my ability to walk really varied. Some days I felt fine but 3 days after each chemo, a Saturday, when I didn't have to get up for treatment, I would sleep all day. Just see how you feel.  

My treatment flew by. It's no holiday but there is an end to it. It's such a small part of your life. 

• Hi Lizzie,

All the best with the mask fitting tomorrow. Like others have said it's nothing to worry about. I really liked it actually!

I also had my treatment at the Royal Marsden. Are you at Chelsea or Sutton? I was and still am attending Chelsea and they are amazing. 

Good luck with everything.

little-fi xx

• Thankyou everyone. It certainly does help being on here.  I guess if I can do a little exercise I will and it’s a good thing to try.   I am at the Marsden for 2 days, Monday snd Tuesday.  Having another mri and ct, mask made and meeting everyone.  I am hoping everyone is kind.  That is such a help. I am scared and just keep crying.  My children visited this weekend and of course that was lovely, but really I was just overwhelmed.  My eldest son had a very aggressive cancer at 17 (osteosarcoma).  I nursed him through everything snd beyond.  He is now 31 and just had a baby daughter!!!   He is now a mentor to me.  It is hard revisiting those hospitals, scans etc etc etc. Lizzie

• Totally understand that Lizzie but now you have something else to focus on. Congratulations on the birth of your granddaughter! They are a great way to help take your mind off the rubbish bits! 

little-fi Stuck out tongue winking eyexx

• Hi Lizzie congratulations on  granddaughter. Just focus on your treatment your sons there for you now. The mask fitting is just a process to go through   I  line little fi quite enjoyed it the staff are quick snd they will talk to you. Remember tk ask for eye holes  nose snd mouth to be cut out. If they won’t go for the eyes at least  I used to watch the machine whirling round.  
    You can do this. 
    Hazel x

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

My blog is www.radioactiveraz.wordpress.com  HPV 16+ tonsil cancer Now 5 years  post treatment. 35 radiotherapy 2 chemo T2N2NM.Happily getting on with living always happy to help  

• Go granny you can smash this you do the cancer journey can be bumpy but you will get there tomorrow is the real start good luck Thumbsup