Still unable to swallow properly

• 3 replies
  • 125 subscribers

Hello Everyone,

I completed a 7 week course of radiotherapy for Oropharynx cancer in Jan this year. I was advised recently after a PET CT scan that I was clear of cancer, so far so good but the problem is that I can still not swallow properly. I can manage small amounts of water with difficulty but get on a little better with consistencies like yogurt , soups etc. Otherwise my main nutrition is fed through a RIG ( Stomach Tube)  I had a video fluoroscopy test last week and was advised that my swallow function was ok considering my condition recovering from the radiotherapy treatment. That was good to hear except I still can’t actually swallow much at all and I feel as though I have a blockage in my throat. Its all getting me down at the moment.

Does or has anyone else had such a problem and if so can you offer any advice please.

Thanks, in advance

Josie

• Hi Jodie and welcome 

I can understand your frustration 

If your swallow function is ok then maybe it’s a case of practice. Do you have swallow exercises? It might be an idea to do those as often as you can. I found the forceful swallow manoeuvre the best to strengthen the throat muscles. The feeling you get might just be due to the radiotherapy messing with all the nerves back there. 
    I hope somebody else can come along with something more constructive 

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Hi Josie

Great news that you've had a clear scan and that your swallow function  appears to be OK.

Did you see anyone  from the Speech and Language Team after the video fluoroscopy?

Linda x

• w someone from Speach and Language who gave me some exercises to do. I would definitely give your hospital a call about this. 

Has anyone suggested using a difflam mouth wash and then taking 1ml of something like Oxycodone? I have struggled to eat too and have found this is the only way i can eat without being in pain. 

You are not alone. I completely understand how frustrating this can be. 

Love Lisa xxx