Maxillofacial referral

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 7 replies
  • 125 subscribers

Hi all , I wonder if anyone has had a similar experience . Here goes .

I have been getting dental abcess symptoms under my back lower molar for a while , it flared up and then settled down etc. Before Xmas it was giving me more discomfort so I saw my dentist . He couldn't find any sign of an abscess but an x-ray revealed some dark area beneath the tooth . The tooth is also loose which I hadn't noticed . He referred me to the Maxillofacial consultant on the 2 week pathway and I have the appt on 5th Feb . Last night the tooth flared up again but this time a swelling appeared on the gum next to it and during the night it burst releasing some pus . Obviously i am a bit worried ,if its  not an abscess what on earth is it . I don't smoke and drink only in moderation .

• Hi Sunny and welcome to our little community. Pus certainly sounds like an abscess. It’s good that you have had a quick referral so that Maxfac can get to the bottom of it. The department deals  with all sorts of things don’t assume so much. Might I suggest you stay off Google. There is much inaccurate and out of date rubbish on there and you will frighten yourself to death. 
    Heres fingers crossed it’s something that can be dealt with quickly and easily. 
    Best wishes. 

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Hi Sunny22

I did experience exactly the same symptoms as you several years ago.  It went on for ages and did turn out to be an abscess.

Hope your appt with the Maxfac goes well and you can get whatever is causing the discomfort sorted.

All the best

Linda x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Beesuit

Hi Beesuit , Thank you . I was sure it was an abscess as I've had a couple before with similar symptoms so when I saw my dentist i was expecting him to send me away with antibiotics and that would be it . I was surprised when the examination and x Ray didn't flag one up Tbh .

I'll try and stay away from Google , you're right it's probably not a good place to go .

I'm sure it's nothing sinister. 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to LindaWT

Thank you Linda , im pretty sure it must be an abscess . I think the 2 week pathway referral has worried me a bit and the fact that my dentist said he couldn't see any abcess there although I told him the symptoms felt exactly as If there was an abscess brewing . 

• I have to congratulate your dentist though on taking things further so promptly.

Do let us know how you get on.

Linda x

• Hi Sunny

I have exactly the same symptoms as you are describing and because I have an active H&N cancer diagnosis I was referred straight away by my dentist to oral surgery.

In my case it is definitely an infection under the molar.  It actually shows on my most recent PET scan as such.  As you describe, swelling up white with a red spot in the middle of the swelling - the red spot is actually where the infection drains from and as long as it is draining then the pain is minimal.  It is when it blocks that the pain increases.  Amazing what you learn from an oral surgeon Slight smile

I am having mine removed shortly as I don't want the infection to mask any cancer.  You may have different options.

It is good that you are on the 2 week pathway.  Almost certainly the oral surgeon will not find anything sinister (and he is the only one who can make the diagnosis - not us on here) and it will be some sort of standard dental treatment.

The waiting is always the frightening bit, but hopefully my similar experience will help alleviate some of your concern until you get into the chair!

Peter
    See my profile for more details of my convoluted journey
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to PFJTHS

Hi Peter Thank you so much for your reply . I feel very reassured by your answer . It is exactly as you describe . 

I hope all goes well with you Peter and with your treatment .

Thank you for your answer , I feel 100% better . 

All the best

Sunny22