Durophat

• 8 replies
  • 75 subscribers

Hi everyone,

Been using durophat toothpaste for 3 weeks now , not sure but seem to think it's had a effect on my tongue ,strange taste in mouth. Anyone else get this problem prior to treatment starting? 

My treatment starts on Monday 28th 

2 chemo and 35 Rt

• HI Spider

Been using Duraphat 5000 for 16 months now.... a bit nippy to start with but have gotten used to it now...use Duraphat with gum trays daily  ...on Dental Hospital advice...reviewed every three months.

Best  of luck with the treatment...keep the forum updated on your progress

Peter

• Hi , my partner started using this 12 months after surgery and treatment and its a must have unfortunatly ... sorry probably spelt wrong. Keep going and you will get there . Wishing you all the best xx
  • Hi yes A lot of us struggle . During actual treatment I used oranurse for a good few weeks. Not as high a fluoride but for a few weeks I checked with oncology and they said ok . I bought the oranurse online and I still keep a tube just in case I have flare ups. I’ve been using duraphat for 6 years now with a few odd weeks on oranurse when I e had bad late ups. I also have fluoride varnishes every 3 months at dentist. Touch wood I’ve had no dental issues since treatment started I am paranoid with dental care as well. Use tee pee inter dental brushes and bioxtra mouthwash. For first year I also used curaprox toothbrushes as my mouth couldn’t cope with electric toothbrush. 
    Haael 

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

My blog is www.radioactiveraz.wordpress.com  HPV 16+ tonsil cancer Now  6 years  post treatment. 35 radiotherapy 2 chemo T2N2NM.Happily getting on with living always happy to help

• It might be the fluoride. It's at a much higher concentration than normal fluoride toothpaste.

If you are actually getting a painful mouth it's the Sodium Lauryl Sulphate SLS which is the usual culprit once your mucous membranes have been damaged by radiation. It's a detergent that helps foam the toothpaste (though heaven knows why they put that in)

I couldn't use Duraphat for a year because my mouth was so sensitive. 

Stop it for a week and see if it makes any difference? Won't do any harm at all.

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Hi Peter did you use gum trays during treatment? Not heard of those before.

• Hi Jane

No, not during treatment, recommended during my first dental hospital post treatment restorative dentistry appointment....impressions taken... gum trays formed and supplied free of charge....use with Duraphat for 15 minutes daily...a bit fiddly ....but I'm happy to use them if they do the job.

• Sounds really fiddly.

Do you use the toothpaste in the trays? 

Have you considered a varnish every three months instead? 

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Yes Duraphat put in trays...quite happy to do it ...I have another restorative dentistry appointment next month ....will discuss varnishing with the dental surgeon then