Mouthwash

• 15 replies
  • 75 subscribers

Hi Everyone ,

My partner saw an oral consultant yesterday at local hospital and there going to sort out some teeth so he has a complete bite on one side of he's mouth and said obviously because the jaw has been reconstructed he wont be able to sort teeth out for this side of the mouth. He mentioned that it's very important he doesn't loose anymore teeth because of Osteoradionecrosis which has now made Paul concerned again. I understand that good oral health is vital and wondered if anyone could recommend a high fluoride mouthwash to ensure that this doesn't happen.

He's obviously done the silliest thing and googled it on way home from hospital and I also looked but picked out the better points which was it MAY happen and only a small percentage of people develop this.

Any advise would be most appreciated and all I can do is ask you guys and keep him laughing so he doesn't have time to think about things even though I'm sure he does.

Thanks Slight smile

• wondered if anyone could recommend a high fluoride mouthwash to ensure that this doesn't happen.

Does he use Duraphat 5000 toothoaste ? That should be enough but for extra protection I get a fluoride varnish every three months. 
    The high fluoride mouthwashes you get don’t actually have high levels of fluoride. A lot of people are prescribed Fluorigard which has 225ppm ( as opposed to Duraphat which has 5000

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Hi Dani , yes he does use the duraphat and ok it might be worth asking for a prescription . Where do you get the fluoride varnish from xx

• Where do you get the fluoride varnish from

From my dentist. 
    There is no such thing as an NHS dentist here in Wales so I pay my hygienist £45 twice a year and thankfully my dentist includes it in her six monthly checks… though I pay for that

Dani 

Community Champion badge
  • obviously because the jaw has been reconstructed he wont be able to sort teeth out for this side of the mouth.

Why is that Bridget? I have heard of folk having implants into reconstructed areas

Dani 

Community Champion badge
  • In addition to Duraphat I was prescribed fluorigard…the one without alcohol….it’s green…the alcohol containing one is blue.  I don’t bother getting it on prescription as it is easily available in Tesco/Boots etc and doesn’t cost an arm and a leg.  After I had a bit of a soft tissue flareup with Duraphat I’ve cut back on its use and asked my hygienist to use the fluoride varnish.  I know it’s difficult, but do try and keep him off Google if he’s of a nervous disposition….the guys on this forum in my experience are a much better source of information.

Liz

• I agree with Dani. I had implants done on my reconstructed jawbone; they were used to hold my dentures in position. I had to wait 18 months and have the jawbone bulked out a bit to take the implants. Hopefully, they can do the same for your husband, Bridget.  

Chris x

Its sometimes not easy but its worth it ! 

Community Champion Badge

• Hi duraphat  toothpaste on dental prescription for life and I also have fluoride varnish every 3 months. Bioxtra  mouth wash again g p prescription   and be careful if too much sweet stuff.  My treat is 85% dark chocolate one square a night. Regular check ups at dentist. 
    Plus kerp

Plus keep off dr google. 

Hazel 

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

My blog is www.radioactiveraz.wordpress.com  HPV 16+ tonsil cancer Now  6 years  post treatment. 35 radiotherapy 2 chemo T2N2NM.Happily getting on with living always happy to help

• Hi Dani , the consultant doesnt want to do anything on that side of the mouth as doesnt think dentures will work as the jaw isnt great and dont think Paul wants inplants as suffered enough. Hes daughter in law is a dental nurse in Wales so maybe i could ask her about varnishing when we visit them next weekend.

• Thanks Liz i will check that out in Boots x

• Ok thanks Chris , i think hes worried about going through the pain as feels like hes suffered enough. Was the inplants painful ? X