Peg

• 6 replies
  • 76 subscribers

Hi everyone,

Quick update ,I will have my Peg fitted on Tuesday, which means over night stay in hospital. Is it an easy procedure ? Just another thing to set my anxiety off ,prior to my RT and CH.

Mark 

• Hi Mark, i had a RIG fitted which is very similar to a PEG, it was a quick easy procedure. Don't worry it will be fine, and you will be pleased to have it, if eating becomes a problem during and after treatment. I was 100% reliant on mine for about 10 weeks, it was my lifesaver. It takes the worry of not eating away. 

Ray. 

• Hi Mark

I had a PEG tube fitted  April last year, sedated prior to procedure, fell asleep during insertion, stayed in hospital overnight for observation, home next day, some abdominal muscle pain for 5 days after, well controlled by pain meds....removed 5 months later relatively pain free procedure...stings for about 20 seconds

Peter

• Hello again Mark

My experience was similar to Ray and Peter’s.  I had a RIG not a PEG. The sedation knocked me out for insertion. I was kept in overnight and taught the following day how to use and keep the device clean.  I had very little pain…I’d describe it more as discomfort….and once the sutures were out everything was trouble free.  The location of it made wearing some bras uncomfortable…but you won’t have that problem!   It was a life saver for me and I depended on it for feeding and hydration after the middle of week 3 of radiotherapy.  Removal was a doddle.  Very quick, painless and I was on my feet back to the car park immediately afterwards.  You’ll be fine.

All the best for the rest of your treatment.

Liz

• PEG fitted and was discharged about an hour after I had it done.  Went shopping on the way home.  For me absolutely no problem.  For others there can be some discomfort.  

Peter
    See my profile for more details of my convoluted journey
  • For others there can be some discomfort.  

indeed.. Innocent

Loz (61)

Oropharyngeal right tongue base T2N2bM0 squamous cell carcinoma p16 positive..