Tongue cancer

• 13 replies
  • 72 subscribers

Hi eleven weeks post RT. Just wanted to know if anyone experienced issues with throat at this stage. I feel as if my throat seems swollen and then is ok again . I'm using the nebuliser to clear any mucus as I find it hard to clear my throat. Is this common. I had operation to tongue and neck dissection stage 1 nodes 0.. thank you x

• Yes I felt the same. It was worse in the mornings. I out it down to lymphodema inside. Swallowing exercises and a cup of tea helped. 

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Thank you did you feel as if there was something in your throat when you swallowed  Dani x

• I know I'm just anxious but could tongue cancer spread to your tonsils in this short time. Just my mind working overtime .

• In a word the treatment brutal it zaps everything in sight. I liken our mouth being fried and having g to start regenerating a bit like De Who. The treatment is designed to kill cancer and it’s very guys at doing that but also damaged other surrounding tissues recovery is a marathon not a sprint ur takes tone. Are you  taking strying enough painkillers ?

hazel . 

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

My blog is www.radioactiveraz.wordpress.com  HPV 16+ tonsil cancer Now  6 years  post treatment. 35 radiotherapy 2 chemo T2N2NM.Happily getting on with living always happy to help

• Hi Hazel thank you. Your mind just runs away with you when you feel different things happen. My water blisters were herdenous today I had seven at one point and they normally last hour to two hours but they lasted six hours today. I took difflam and another strong numbing mouthwash . I just seem to get them daily and a few at a time. I use the claregel too and bioextra but they are so painful especially if at back of throat. The only painkillers I'm taking are paracetamol or brufen. Oramorph didn't agree with me so I haven't taken it from week two after post RT. I think if I didn't get these blisters I would feel I was improving but it's hard day in day out when you get them. Thank you hazel xx

• Thank you did you feel as if there was something in your throat when you swallowed  Dani x

Yes....I felt that I couldn't swallow even though I could.

Try not to pick up an everything and extrapolate it to treatment failure. Failure is extremely rare. You really are very very early in recovery. We all heal at different rates. At 12 weeks I was still on morphine. 

Dani 

Community Champion badge
  • I know I'm just anxious but could tongue cancer spread to your tonsils in this short time. Just my mind working overtime .

I bet you haven't got any left

My cancer was in my tongue. The whole back of my throat was fried. Have a look at your uvula. That's the dangly bit at the back of your throat. I bet most of that is gone too. Mine is but a stump. Your cancer hasn't spread anywhere. the treatment has obliterated it but it's left much collateral damage that will take six months to heal.

Dani 

Community Champion badge
  • Dani you are a dote you really calm me down and reassure me that all these symptoms are normal. My cancer was on the left side of my tongue no node spread but max fax consultant always does head and neck dissection to be sure . I know in my head it's ok but your mind just panics when different things happen out of the blue. Thank you Dani again xx

• but your mind just panics

It does and fears like this are normal but honestly nothing, absolutely nothing happens overnight and that includes treatment failure. Have you got a dog? If you have when you feel like that put on a raincoat and get yourself wet. 

Dani 

Community Champion badge
  • Hi Jg123,

Like you, I struggled with the same issues in my mouth and throat, which do start to ease off slowly - it was 22 weeks before I felt I had really turned a corner. I found that liquid paracetamol and liquid ibuprofen taken orally helped to ease the mouth pain.

The feeling of something stuck in my throat is still with me but not as bad as it first was.

It is so easy to get worried but I spoke with my CNS and she organised an ENT consult to put my mind at ease. He checked my mouth and throat and explained that my throat was still recovering and would be inflamed for a while.

Be kind to yourself - get plenty of rest. maybe give meditation a go? I have the Headspace App and find it marvellous for relaxing me and taking my mind off things.

Sending hugs - this will ease off, but it is tough going. We're all here for you.

Debbie xx