**Update on treatment**

• 13 replies
  • 73 subscribers
Hi all.  I went to see Surgeon Cdr Mr Williams again today and he confirmed cancer in my lymph node too. Therefore, He wants to take more tonsil tissue (to ensure that he got it all, I am unclear as to why he didn't take it all when he did the Tonsillectomy) and a neck dissection to remove the cancerous lymph node.  
He wants me to go on the PATHOS Trial, which I am told is a trial looking at the effects of reduced radio/chemo therapy to lessen the side effects of those radical treatments. He feels that that is the best course for me. I of course will be totally guided by him, but he did say that I need to have a week to go through all the paperwork regarding the trial and to go back and see him in a weeks time to tell him my decision. Then, he has 'pencilled me in' for the op on the 23rd September, which is an overnight stay in hospital.
Hazel x
  • Sorry to hear there is more surgery for you.  I guess the surgeons are between a rock and a hard place with margins.  Much of what may or may not be in the margin is probably only seen in the path lab and this is invasive surgery so take too much unnecessarily and that leaves you in potential difficulty you would not have needed to be in.

I hope the dissection goes OK and the node is "encapsulated" with no spread outside of the suspect one.

There are a few on her who are on the trial and can better guide you in that.  We need people to undertake trials (safely, of course) so that they can develop new and less brutal treatments.  If you do decide to go on it you will be doing all of us a great service.

Peter
    See my profile for more details of my convoluted journey
  • Hi Hazel just to let you know they couldn’t find my tumour at ifirst so last Oct they took both tonsils out and a biopsy on my tongue. They found the tumour in my tongue so in Nov I had tors to remove tumour from tongue and a neck disection removed 32 Lympth notes. Unfortunately it had spread to 3 so I was recommended to have radiotherphy which I started in January with a reduced  amount Pathos.  X 

• Therefore, He wants to take more tonsil tissue (to ensure that he got it all, I am unclear as to why he didn't take it all when he did the Tonsillectomy)

Hi Hazel 

There isn’t much room there at the back of your throat to take a big excision which is why surgeons don’t unless they need to. Maybe the margins weren’t as good as he was hoping? It’s one thing you might ask. Hopefully the trial will suit you. 

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Unfortunately it had spread to 3 so I was recommended to have radiotherphy which I started in January with a reduced  amount Pathos

Can I ask how much RT you did have in the end? How well did you recover? 
    Hope you don’t mind me asking. 

Dani 

Community Champion badge
  • Thanks Dani for clarifying.  Yes, I will ask next time I see him (unfortunately I don't always think of these things at the time.)  And yes, I am hoping that I will be in Category A, fingers crossedFingers crossed

Hugs

Hazel x

• Hi Tongue123,  he did say that there was also tonsil tissue in the tongue, so it could be that.

Hopefully yours will be gone after your radiotherapy Fingers crossed

Hugs

Hazel x

• Hi Peter, yes, I have read through the paperwork on the PATHOS Trial and I understand what is involved, so I will definitely do the trial and hopefully it will lead to less recovery for others in the future too. 

Hugs

Hazel x

• Hi Dani no probs at all. I had 5 weeks at 50.  I did ok it was a bit painful but was still able to eat and drink as normal.  It did cause issues to my salvia glands so very dry mouth and throat so made it tricky to swallow lots of water to wash food down. On the last week I got a very very dry cough so coughed day and night but that only lasted a week.  I struggled a lot more with the tongue surgery. 

• That’s a week less. It should lessen long term effects. 
    xx

Dani 

Community Champion badge
  • tonsil tissue in the tongue, so it could be that.

We have natural tonsil tissue at the back of the tongue each side. They are called lingual tonsils. It’s where my cancer was. The ones at the back of your throat are called palatine tonsils. 

Dani 

Community Champion badge