Cancer of the voice box

• 11 replies
  • 73 subscribers
  • Have been my only option is a total laryngectomy as the cancer has returned. 
  • Anyone had or experienced this please very worried 
  • Hi Spud. so sorry to hear your news. Don't despair. One of our community champs  was in the same position and he is doing really well. He might be along soon to try to reassure you

There is also the laryngectomy association you could look into https://www.laryngectomy.org.uk/

Best wishes

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Thanks Beesuit just so worried

• You must be beside yourself but can I just say that although the operation is a drastic one a heck of a lot of people make a good recovery. My first husband failed radiotherapy for laryngeal cancer and had to have a laryngectomy.

He recovered well, had a voice prosthesis called a TEP fitted and returned to his demanding career as a photojournalist and the loudest voice in the pub

It's not going to be easy to start with but there is a good life to be had so hold onto that

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Thanks Dani I'm 73 and terrified 

• Good evening Spud, i had a laryngectomy in 2010 and live quite a normal life, it all sounds scary at the moment but in most cases, you will be able to speak in some way, the two main ones are a voice valve (TEP) or an electrolarynx which is a bit like a razor where you hold it under your chin and mime the words and the machine amplifies it into a robotic voice, the TEP is easier to use as its fitted into the breathing tube in your neck. Also, some people can speak by swallowing air and making burping noises this was used before the TEP. All you have to think is that the hole in your neck (stoma) replaces your nose and mouth as its your only way of breathing, coughing,etc this is why we wear filters on the neck to condition and filter the air. Your speech and language therapist will explain everything and to be honest its just learning to adapt to your new way of life, once its done you should not have any issues with it once you get into a routine. Having the laryngectomy was my third operation due to the cancer returning life is very good and i still lead an active life. Wishing you all the best, take care.

Chris

Its sometimes not easy but its worth it ! 

Community Champion Badge

• Thank you Chris I am 73 and honestly unsure of what to do. I'm not a quiter but totally horrified by it all.

Wre you young when you had it 

• Hi Spud sorry to hear your news. There’s a few active sites on laryngectomy  sites on social media sites as well as Chris and Mike on here. 

hugs Hazel 

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

My blog is www.radioactiveraz.wordpress.com  HPV 16+ tonsil cancer Now  6 years  post treatment. 35 radiotherapy 2 chemo T2N2NM.Happily getting on with living always happy to help

• Hi Spud, bolt from the blue this one isn't it? Mine had the crowning glory of my wife dying in her sleep four days later, so actually, in the most perverse way imaginable, it became easier to deal with...because it was secondary.

I was sixty, and seven years on from my initial diagnosis, at the time...and I can absolutely say that it's not the worst thing that's ever happened to me. I was in hospital for four weeks initially, then another the following month after an infection.

I have no speech at all now, the methods Chris described weren't immediately suitable for me, and my son, who lives with me, quickly picked up lip-reading me, so translates as and when I need it. I could've pushed on for more options later on, but I didn't feel the need...and I still don't. The times I still miss my voice now are probably times that would've got me into trouble in the past anyway.

The "mechanics" of a new airway take some getting used to but it quickly becomes second nature.

That said, it's major life changing surgery obviously, but I wouldn't change my decisions if I had my time again. Be only too pleased to answer any questions that I can, very best wishes to you.

Community Champion Badge

Metastatic SCC diagnosed 8th October 2013. Modified radical neck dissection November, thirty-five radiotherapy fractions with 2xCisplatin chemo Jan/Feb 2014. Recurrence on larynx diagnosed July 2020 so salvage laryngectomy in September 2020.

http://mike-o.blogspot.co.uk/

• hi was your husband told his cancer was cureable then after treatment it had not worked? iam having treatment for voice box cancer and told its cureable but iam so scared it wont be cured 

• You are welcome Spud, i was 48 , if you can take each day as it comes you will find it all comes together, it will take you a bit longer to heal up but the results should be good, they would not offer this to you if they did not think it would work, its only natural to worry but you will be in good hands with very experienced surgeons who do this sort of thing everyday. All the best.

Chris

Its sometimes not easy but its worth it ! 

Community Champion Badge