Steroids

• 6 replies
  • 76 subscribers

Hi,

Watched a lot of videos, on YouTube etc

Maybe not a good idea, but on the US videos I note that although treatment seems basically identical they get given steroids.

Has anyone been prescribed these?

They seem to really help inflammation in the mouth and throat and redness on the outer skin of the neck.

I wonder why we differ on this

Jason

• No idea, sorry. A question for your oncologist? 
    We routinely get steroids with chemotherapy 

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Hi Jason, I was given steroids while I was having chemo. As for the redness on your neck, I used Aloe Vera gel, applied after each RT session, not before.

Ray

• Like Ray I had steroids as part of the chemo.  E45 and Aloe Vera gel worked wonders on my neck.  I think the collateral damage, like skin inflammation, often depends on the quality of the RT machine along with preventative measures.  My oncologist promised me no such issues and he was right.  Not a lot is going to stop the mouth/throat radiation burns as that is where it is targeted.

Peter
    See my profile for more details of my convoluted journey
  • Hi Jason

I was on Steroids for two weeks after base of tongue op and neck disection. 

• Hi Jason I never had steroids either but I didn't have chemo..I used flamigel from start of RT to few weeks after and also when my neck got very very red they gave me a neck bandage which I wore the last few weeks and it kept my neck well moisturised . It really helped. From then onwards I use E45 cream alot every day .

• Hi I had steroids for 3 days after each chemo.  Remember in the states it’s all pay pay via insurance. 
    I won’t steroids helped my mouth remember steroids once you finish them you can get a steroid drop. Insomnia etc. 

hazel 

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

My blog is www.radioactiveraz.wordpress.com  HPV 16+ tonsil cancer Now  6 years  post treatment. 35 radiotherapy 2 chemo T2N2NM.Happily getting on with living always happy to help