Tongue cancer

• 6 replies
  • 73 subscribers

Hi just another query I have. I seem to ask questions all the time. I'm in my ninth week post RT and had neck dissection in march. I was wondering about the scar tissue on my tongue. How long did you find it stayed before it turned the colour of your tongue again. I'm nearly four months now. My tongue on the dissection side is still very numb. It always seems to feel very big. I know I'm so early in the healing process but I worry if anything changes in my mouth. I feel that I am constantly checking my tongue for changes. I know the RT is probably still working on my tongue. I'm still swollen inside my left cheek . It can go up and down during the day. I'm doing lots of mouth and neck head exercises even when driving. Why am I constantly worrying. So much more now than ever . Thank you.

• Hi it’s early days from you. I had tonsil cancer so no tongue op but I did have an ulcer full length of tongue for at least 13 weeks then it shed its skin. That side of my tongue is same  colour as rest but big nor same  consistency it’s wobble s like jelly. We should do the exercises for life I do them without realising. Stop looking constantly find a rhythm that suits you maybe weekly

Hazel 

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

My blog is www.radioactiveraz.wordpress.com  HPV 16+ tonsil cancer Now  6 years  post treatment. 35 radiotherapy 2 chemo T2N2NM.Happily getting on with living always happy to help

• Hi. Dont expect any structural changes til six months. It really is early. Worrying about every little niggle is normal but it just stresses you out. Find something to do that keeps you occupied most of the day and leaves you tired in the evening. There has been much nerve damage from the dissection and the RT. Some nerves never grow back but it’s far too early to be expecting much that way

My tongue on one side remained devoid of the normal papillae which give the tongue its furry appearance for nearly five years. 
    My cheek is still slightly swollen in the inside and has a lichenoid appearance ( thin white lines) I have to be careful not to bite it

HPV driven cancer is largely cured and early local recurrence ( which can be classed as treatment failure) is rare

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Thank you I know you're right about over checking xx

• Thank you Dani. Good to be reassured about tongue . Just very worried as so early days. Thank you again x

• I think you are seeing a fairly standard recovery process.  I certainly recognise what you are describing and I am 6 months post treatment.  I have just been and checked and my mouth is still blotchy yellow, but I saw the consultant a few days ago and he is happy with it. 

It does get better.  I found that after the initial healing from my neck dissections it took around 18 months until I really felt back to normal.  It was so gradual I hardly noticed the changes, but they were there.

Peter
    See my profile for more details of my convoluted journey
  • Oh thank you Peter all sounds very promising.