I am struggling with bad thoughts

• 33 replies
  • 76 subscribers

I feel like I need reasurrance and also a kick or two.  I am struggling with my thoughts and have been for a while - I was so over joyed with the good outcome of surgery and the intial pain and couple infections and heavy bleeds were put to bed, but I am feeling really ashamed to come on here with my fears, but I cannot shake the fact that something is wrong and I cant stop the thoughts.  I even tryed Samaritian at 3 am and no reply.  I understand so many will feel alone during the night and thoughts creep in.

Please don't take this the wrong way but I search for folk who have similar surgery to see if what I am feeling is normal 4 months post surgery.  The sentinel node biopsy site while scar is hardly noticeable there is stilling a pulling feeling and dullness, if I try to carry something I get neck pain, and I have had weird troublesome irration in ear and last few weeks a really burning tongue and worsening dryness, thanks to this forum I have found some answers and products for dry mouth.

I was told to contact secretary with concerns, but thought it was post surgery and nerve pain and carried on, I assumed I would be seen in early July then went to August and now after 2 cancelled appointments.  I am going to clinic this morning after speaking to nurse and I wouldn't have done that if mysecond appt hadn't been cancelled.  My mouth is so dry and yesterday and this morning I can't stop gulping and have a feeling of lumps in throat, someone please tell me this is anxiety, another apology for my speeling.

I keep on wanting to apologies to you all - I feel let down by my after care - t understand the pressures on Drs and that illness comes to them.  I have been seen 2 weeks after surgery and my surgery was mid April 24.

I don't know if I will get reasurrance from clinic today or what I should say.....I am a little upset at the after care but don't feel I can say that, at the moment I think I need another cup of tea.

I am sorry  - but just need some reasurrance I think.

• Oh sweetheart..... All this is normal and is indeed anxiety. I recognise every symptom personally and I'm now more than five years clear of treatment. The fear of recurrence or metastasis is vast at the beginning. It can be hugely overwhelming and you lose trust in your own body. The paucity of decent follow up just exacerbates it. You're not getting monitored as frequently and knowing how busy departments are you're reluctant to push for care. 

I signpost people to Peter Harvey's article HERE a lot and it might help.

It might be worth seeing your GP for something to help you sleep. Macmillan offer six sessions of counselling free, look HERE Is there a Maggie's near you? They offer great support. Pop in. and have a chat with them.

I can say that these fears are real but they do lessen over time, I promise

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Hi Lanclassie

Even at 14 months post treatment I still have iffy days, sore mouth and throat, tinnitus, chemo fog etc...it goes with the treatment, we cancer survivors have low moods occasionally, but if they come too often we must seek help, do not suffer in silence...mentally or physically...Please call Macmillan, your CNS or your GP ASAP.

Keep posting on here.... plenty of sound advice and support available from those who have walked in you shoes.

Take care 

Peter

• Dani

I am really thankful for your reply and I feel so low today...sure will cheer up as day goes on - but rain expected up here in my part Wales.

• Where in Wales are you? I'm in Ceredigion between Lampeter and the coast. Horrid out there just now......dark but brightening up later. Even the dog's taken a look outside and said no!

Dani 

Community Champion badge
  • In the north with health board in special measures yet again - a bit windy here but a bit brightness towards sea looking out across to Abergele.  Yep my dog has decided to have a second nap...wish I could nod off like himGrinning

• Husband, Stan,  and I are at Conwy Honey fair on 12th September (Google)

Come and say hello. It would be lovely to say hi.

Dani 

Community Champion badge
  • I might just do that - love Conwy - best butchers plus little french bakery and honey very tempting.

• Hi Lanclassie, there is no need to apologize, we are all here to listen to each other's worries and help where we can. I completely understand how you feel, after what the treatment puts us through, takes a lot of getting your head around, then when we finally do get to sit and think about what has just happened it brings on all kinds of thoughts and worries. I'm over 6 1/2 years post treatment now, with ups and downs along the way, and even now I can still get myself into a bit a state over nothing, it's just natural to worry. Hopefully you will have your mind put to rest today. Let us know how you get on.

Ray

• best butchers

Edwards.....always take something home

And Parisella's ice cream........

Dani 

Community Champion badge
  • Hi Lancaster. The others have covered everything never feel alone there always someone here in daytime hours I’m usually around until 2300 ish. At clinic tell them and get gp to give you mild sleeping pills. Please go see Dani her honey’s wonderful. Know Abergele we used to drive through in our hill climbing days say hi to Yr Wydffa.if clouds break through from me. 

hugs Hazel 

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

My blog is www.radioactiveraz.wordpress.com  HPV 16+ tonsil cancer Now  6 years  post treatment. 35 radiotherapy 2 chemo T2N2NM.Happily getting on with living always happy to help