Diagnosed yesterday

• 28 replies
  • 76 subscribers

Hi all

I'm new here and was diagnosed yesterday with Neck Squamous Cell Carcinoma.  I had an MRI yesterday and have to have a PET scan too (I have no idea what that is.) 

I have survived two Malignant Melanomas in the past, but I was a lot younger then and more or less took it in my stride (I was pretty ignorant of the very real possiblity of death as an outcome then . . . thankfully.)

However, now I am a LOT older and more conscious of my own mortality I am absolutely terrified.  I have no family I can talk to and my darling hubby is a bit of an Ostrich, so I don't talk about my fears with him in case he thinks I'm overreacting.

Thanks for 'listening'.

Hazel x

• Hi Hazel

T2N1M0 HPV16+ tonsil cancer...age 69

Tough journey ahead but success rates for HPV16+ are pretty good at 90%...plenty of sound advice and support from others on this forum, we have all walked the cancer walk...keep us updated on your progress...always someone about.

PET ....injection with radioactive fluid to highlight possible sinister areas...takes about 1.5 hours for scan procedure...15-30 min in actual scanner

Take care

Peter 

• Hi Hazel and welcome. 
    Squamous cell carcinoma in a neck lymph node is the classical presentation of HPV driven throat cancer which is very sensitive to radiotherapy and has a cure rate of 90% so hold onto that. 
    The treatment is a real challenge so stay with us. There are plenty of folk who have walked the walk and are here to help. 
    I am 5 years clear of this cancer and fighting fit. 
    This is a PET/CT 

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-information-and-support/diagnostic-tests/pet-ct-scan

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Hi Hazel, feel free to come here and voice your concerns, etc... we all need someone to lean on at times, and there are plenty of ears on here that will come to your aid with help and advice.. 

As Dani has said the cure rate is very good, and to think that you've managed 2 Malignant Melanomas shows great strength.. 

So any concerns.. anything.. feel free to voice them..

Loz (61)

Oropharyngeal right tongue base T2N2bM0 squamous cell carcinoma p16 positive.. 

• Thank you Peter.

Hazel x

• Thank You Dani, I am delighted to hear you are now cancer free!  I will certainly check out your blog.

Hazel x

• Thank You Beau, how are you doing?

• Hi Hazel, just as the others have said, the treatment is tough, but the cure rate is very high. Please don't feel you have no one to speak to, you can always ask questions on here or just have a rant. We are all here to help you.

Ray.

• A wee rant now and again clears the head...good for the soul.

Peter

• Hi Hazel, welcome from me. I’m also Hazel.
    I’m six years post chemo and radiotherapy for HPV driven tonsil cancer with 7 affected lymph nodes. Tell us a little bit more about your diagnosis. Is it tonsil  base if tongue?   Have you had biopsies yet.
    We can all help you a little bit more  if or when you’ve full diagnosis head neck cancer to respond extremely well treatment keep that the forefront of your mind.

we’re a small friendly group always happy to help.
    my blog below might help with tips etc.

Hazel 

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

My blog is www.radioactiveraz.wordpress.com  HPV 16+ tonsil cancer Now  6 years  post treatment. 35 radiotherapy 2 chemo T2N2NM.Happily getting on with living always happy to help

• Hi Hazel

Firstly welcome from me, secondly we are here to listen to the good and the bad and offer some sage advice if you wish for it.  You don't say how old you are - and no lady should!  I was 61 when I was first diagnosed and just (by one day) 65 when I finished my last round of treatment.

There is no getting away from it that the next few months is going to be a tough gig.  However as others will have said the cure rates are extremely good and the vast majority of us go on to have a very good quality of life.  I was just reading a one year since treatment finished and she had had a number of holidays abroad and was living a good life.

I certainly feel I have lived a good life these last 4 1/2 years and fully intend some more decades of a fulfilling time.

Our partners have a really tough time of it when we are going through diagnosis, treatment and recovery.  They are scared witless and honestly don't know what to do for the best.  They try their hardest but don't really get what we are going through.  Only those who have walked that road do get it.  We are here for you.  Stay with us and we will help you.

Peter
    See my profile for more details of my convoluted journey