Treatment and driving

• 14 replies
  • 79 subscribers

Hello all, just a quick question. I am due to start a course of 6 weeks of radiotherapy for oropharyngeal cancer. The hospital is only about 20 minutes drive away. I just wanted to ask people if they had been able to drive themselves to and from treatment or would this be unlikely due to the effects of the treatment?

Thank you

• Hi I was 90 mins away from mine on a bad day traffic wise. There was no way I could have driven. You’ll probably be ok for first few weeks if you’re having chemo on any day I would get someone to drive you. As the weeks pass if the pain intensifies and you end up on opiates it does state no driving. So you could need someone to drive you. We all react differently it’s a case if have someone on standby if you need them. Welcome to group that none if us really wanted to join. 

hazel 

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

My blog is www.radioactiveraz.wordpress.com  HPV 16+ tonsil cancer Now  6 years  post treatment. 35 radiotherapy 2 chemo T2N2NM.Happily getting on with living always happy to help

• Hi Mc Andy, I have had Chemo/RT for cancer of Oesophagus high up and also had a Laryngectomy previously but no after treatment, I asked that specific question and the answer I got was providing you can turn your neck etc then it is fine to drive, mine was 35 sessions of RT and 8 Chemo, it also applied after the operation, my journey was approx. 30 mins and I just got on with it as my Wife and family were all working and you are in and out so quick for the RT it seemed silly to pester everyone. I did have a lift for the first Chemo as that was a 4 hour one and I wasn’t sure what effects it would have.

All I would say is if you feel tired then don’t drive which may happen towards the end of the cycles

Wish you all the best and take care

Community Champion Badge

We will move mountains to help people with cancer live life as fully as they can.
    We'll do whatever it takes. For information, support or just someone to talk to,

call 0808 808 00 00 or visit www.macmillan.org.uk

Onwards and UpwardsWink Laryngectomy and OC survivor 

Lead Volunteer for Hampshire MacMillan Buddy Service

• That's great, thank you

• Hi , my hubby doesn't drive but did use public transport to get to he's RT appointments ... just think everyone is different but wishing you all the best x

• Hi, McAndy I had 30 sessions of RT and 5 out of 6 chemo days. After 3 weeks there was no way I could have driven myself there and back. Although the treatment does affect us in different ways, I'm sure there are some among us who have been ok to drive, all the way through their treatment. All the best for your treatment, any questions just ask, someone will always answer if they can.

Ray. 

• I was a  2 hour round trip to Dundee...my wife insisted on doing the driving...PEG was a bit of a nuisance ...chemo was an all day job...on morphine for last 4 weeks so no choice then.

I was glad of the chance to catnap in the passenger seat.

Peter

• Hi McAndy

I had 6 weeks of radiotherapy but no chemo. I only had a 20 mins drive like you. I managed to drive myself to the radiotherapy sessions but my family were on standby in case I found it too hard to manage. I think take it as it comes and have a back up plan just in case.

Lyn

Sophie66