Tonsil cancer

• 11 replies
  • 77 subscribers

I've just finished a 6 week course of radiotherapy and 6 sessions of cetuximab. All i want to do is quench my thirst.

• Hi. This is a difficult one and quite a problem for some time but it does get better

I found diet cola and spring water were the best but still not perfect. 

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Hi Etimram

T2N1M0 HPV16+ Tonsil cancer finished treatment June 2023.

Sipping tepid water helped me, ice cubes when I could tolerate them.

Peter

• Hi I remember that feeling so well sorry  to say there’s no quick fix. I remember trying Diet Coke let it go flat or soda water cooled boiled water as well as our tap water is orcas like bleach so I used to boil it then cool it or bought bottled water and warmed it 10 seconds in microwave. Later iced water helped.

. Must say I was a good 6 month before my thirst was quenched. Ask for bioxtra  mouth was it’s a ph neutral moisturising mouth was I still use now. 
    well done in completing treatment. 

Hazel 

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

My blog is www.radioactiveraz.wordpress.com  HPV 16+ tonsil cancer Now  6 years  post treatment. 35 radiotherapy 2 chemo T2N2NM.Happily getting on with living always happy to help

• sparkling water worked for me with the added benefit it helped break down the mucus.  Dry mouth is a major issue for most of us and what works for one is useless for another so just try whatever is suggested until you find a solution.  If you have any sort of feeding tube make sure you hydrate through that.  Water is an essential key to healing.

Peter
    See my profile for more details of my convoluted journey
  •  My team suggested sparkling water and it was an absolute game changer for me. Been on it ever since (I'm nearly 11 months post treatment) and still drinking 2-3 litres of it a day (though do have other drinks now too)! 

• Hello,I would avoid all carbonated drinks.If you look up carbonated drinks and oral wounds it says that carbonated drinks delay healing.It is just plain bad for your mouth and throat.good luck with your dry mouth

• Hello, I would look up carbonated drink and oral healing,I haven’t had any carbonated drinks since I started treatment because it says carbonation slows healing of the mouth.It’s been about 8-months since treatment ended and it gets better every month.good luck and congratulations on finishing treatment

• I would avoid all carbonated drinks.If you look up carbonated drinks and oral wounds it says that carbonated drinks delay healing.It is just plain bad for your mouth and throat.

That may be but practically every member of this forum going back years has had the problem of thick mucous helped by carbonated drinks and has gone on to make a good recovery. There is also the issue of the feeling of thirst which can be overwhelming and many of us search for something to assuage it. Fizz can be a mental life saver. There is a compromise.

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
    1. How I know that feeling! Like others I found Diet Coke gone slightly flat with ice cubes helped the most - and still do! I’ve tried other canned drinks but can’t seem to tolerate anything vaguely acidic. Why Diet Coke is ok I just don’t know! Also plain water with crushed ice is good. 
      T4N2 HPV+ Tonsil and base of tongue cancer. Surgery plus 6 weeks chemo radiotherapy finished 26/04/2024 
  • I am curious did you loose all of your saliva in your mouth from treatment.I only had thick mucus when I slept,I would gargle with salt/ baking soda water and it would loosen it and I would spit it out and get a drink and go back to bed.I never lost my saliva under my tongue just my throat would get dry.I never heard using carbonated drink for heavy mucus.