Lip biopsy

• 10 replies
  • 71 subscribers

I have a lip biopsy coming up next week and am very scared. Scared of bleeding ,infection, scarring ,pain and the results! It's only a very small dark patch on my lower lip , doctors think it's benign but I am very worried so they are going ahead with biopsy. Finally! I went to the g.p in March. I will post again when I get the result.

• Hi  

Take a deep breath. The surgeon won’t take much and it shouldn’t feel any worse than biting your lip. 
    Remember. 90% of cancer referrals are not cancer

Good luck. 

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Hi Beesuit

Thank you ,yes I will try to breathe! And hope it will all be OK. 

• Good evening Mukti, im sure the biopsy will be done so that there will be no visible scarring and there should not be any bleeding once the biopsy is done. You might get a bit of discomfort but the lip is not very sensitive to pain like an ear lobe. Of course, its only natural to worry although if the consultant thinks its benign then hold onto that positive outcome. Good luck with the biopsy and results, take care.

Chris 

Its sometimes not easy but its worth it ! 

Community Champion Badge

• Hi Chris

Thank you ,I will try not to worry about the procedure. They said it could take up to 4 weeks for the results ,which seems a long time ,but I will let you all know. 

• So I had the biopsy today . But I think it went terribly wrong. I asked the Dr if I could see where he was going to go in but he wouldnt let me because I allready had a sheet over my head. So he put a mark with a pen where he was going to take the biopsy. I am pretty sure that it was above the area that is dark and I am conerned about. But I didnt say anything as he quickly went on to inject the anesthetic . Then they seemed to panic and the nurse was saying "where is it?" (did she mean the sample?) and the doctor said something like "just use that". I dont know but they hardly looked me in the eye after it was finished. Its difficult to see with the wound as it is but when it heals I am sure you will still be able to see the dark patch where they should have taken the sample. I cant believe this has happend. It was most likely a botched biopsy and I will have to battle with the GP to take me seriously. 

• Oh mukti that sounds strange. Never mind the GP. Ring your surgeon’s secretary and demand an explanation. If you get nowhere raise the issue with PALS. You may be worrying unnecessarily, after all “where is it? Just use that” might well be a pair of scissors……. but you do need an answer. 

Dani 

Community Champion badge
  • Hi Dani

Thankyou I have called the secretary allready but I am not expecting a reply from the surgeon. I think I will have to wait until the wound heals to see if the dark patch is still there and therefore they got the wrong place and then yes I will go to PALS. 

• Please do not worry Mukti, im sure the surgeon/dr who did the procedure knows what he/ she is doing, they try their hardest to keep any scars to minimum, i gave up worrying about scars all i wanted was the cancer to be removed, my scars are very visible now due to the amount of surgery i have had but im happy to be cancer free.. 

Chris 

Its sometimes not easy but its worth it ! 

Community Champion Badge

• Hi Chris 

I am not worried about the scar . I am worried about a missed diagnosis.

• I am not worried about the scar . I am worried about a missed diagnosis.

Mukti

I don’t think any surgeon would do that. Please don’t drive yourself into a black hole. 

Dani 

Community Champion badge