Little update after PET scan

• 23 replies
  • 79 subscribers

My husband saw his consultant privately this morning to review his post treatment PET scan results as he just couldn’t wait 6 weeks. His primary tumour has gone. His neck lump which is still quite large is not lighting up so it could mean that all the cancer has gone, but his consultant wants to do a neck dissection to be absolutely sure. Very relieved. Thanks to everyone who has listened to my worries over the last 6 months. X

• Great news

Take care and good luck

Peter

• Great news re NED. 
    Do you mean your husband needs a dissection or just the one lymph node out? 
    Nifty bit of a shortcut by the way. Some lateral thinking. Equally a pity we have to resort to that. 

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Thanks Dani  it will be a neck dissection. Again this could happen next week privately but we will probably have to wait a month on the nhs. Not sure our savings will stretch but hopefully we have got things moving 

• Hi it’s so wrong to have to pay private but well done in the thinking behind it. Everything x that it just his node that’s up. If the pet ct scan didn’t light up everything double x that there’s nothing. Hopefully no long wait. 
    hugs Hazel xx

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

My blog is www.radioactiveraz.wordpress.com  HPV 16+ tonsil cancer Now  6 years  post treatment. 35 radiotherapy 2 chemo T2N2NM.Happily getting on with living always happy to help

• Dani

It is all a dissection.  Initially I had one enlarged lymph node removed (partial/selective dissection) .  Then I had all removed (modified radical dissection).  Both times they went in at the same place to reduce the physical scarring so the effect is the same although for me the side effects were greater the second time, but still quite manageable.

If they move on to remove other tissue then the name changes to "just" a radical dissection.

Peter
    See my profile for more details of my convoluted journey
  • Dani

It is all a dissection

Of course you’re right. I don’t always consider the proper medical terminology. I suppose I always think of something like a radical neck dissection. To my mind there seems to be a bit of a difference between excising a swollen lymph node v and dissecting an amount of tissue to look through largely invisible lymph nodes. 
    Sorry   for confusing things and thank you  for correcting me. 

Dani 

Community Champion badge
    • Thanks Dani  and  . I have read a bit about salvage neck dissections and read that in America they sometimes use skin from another area to replace neck so that skin could in theory be radiated again. Have you heard of this? Do you think it’s worth asking. Also if they did find cancer in lymph they removed would he need other treatment do you think? 
      Here is the article my.clevelandclinic.org/.../the-latest-in-oropharyngeal-salvage-neck-dissection
  • Questions for your oncologist.

If they found more cancer...then yes, he would need more treatment. More chemotherapy and Immunotherapy. One of our forum members has just finished a two year course of immunotherapy, with success, but that was not for neck failure but for distant metastasis. I have a friend who did fail his treatment and he is on a chemo regime that is keeping him well but not cured.

You are getting ahead of yourself though. 

Dani 

Community Champion badge