Recovery symptoms

• 3 replies
  • 72 subscribers

Hi

I had HPV in right tonsil and had it and lymph nodes removed on May 1st. I was lucky as results from pathology meant no further treatment was necessary.

Numbness in neck, ear and mouth is gradually diminishing, but now I'm experiencing some pain in throat, and along occasional shooting pains in

both upper and lower jaw and in my TMJ. Dentist also discovered 1cm of exposed bone towards my back teeth which both dentist and surgeon reckon is from trauma during op. As a result of this I can now feel really odd things happening along my tongue at that side of my mouth.

I'm making the assumption that all that I'm  now feeling is because I CAN actually feel it.....and that nothing too unusual is going on?

• Hi  

I presume you are still being followed up by your oncologist/surgeon for the standard five years? I would get onto your CNS and ask for a review asap. Hopefully you’ll have your mind put at rest. 

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Good evening Anniemac70, i think we are all the same when the tongue can feel something, a bit like a jagged tooth. I experienced similar when i had my jaw reconstruction and the metal plate started to show on the outside so they had to do a skin graft to cover it, it was just where the skin tissue was too thin. This was back in 2010 and i have no re-occurrence of this issue so maybe yours is on similar lines where the skin tissue needs bulking up a bit. As Dani said get in touch with your team so it can all be checked. All the best,take care.

Chris x

Its sometimes not easy but its worth it ! 

Community Champion Badge

• Hi Anniemac70

I also had bone sticking through gum which began to catch on side of tongue my Debtist as Dental Hospital said he would have to open him and file it down a little as I have a risk of ostecranosis ( from radiotherapy) luckily it has settled down again and slightly covered itself with my gum I have monthly checks just to keep an eye on it.

I would definitely get it checked asap 

Best of luck 

Debbie