PET scan

• 3 replies
  • 72 subscribers

My husband is having his PET scan today. I am driving him. His radiographer had recommended he sits in the back of the car afterwards (we have a 2 hour trip) and have windows open. I knew he shouldn’t go near our kids for 6 hours but did everyone else take other precautions?

• When my friend had his PET there was some advice about not using public toilets – special toilet available for PET patients only at the hospital, but afterwards we went home on the bus and no one had told me not to sit next to him! I think it was the hospital's research PET scanner. We did specifically query if okay to go home by public transport as the scan was done with less than 24hrs notice and no driver. My friend had another PET in a research facility where doctors were even more blasé and were going to let me sit in room during the PET uptake to help keep him calm (!) but when I said I would rather not be near the radioactivity they said okay yes you can go back to the waiting room if you think he'll cope. I think it is mainly young children and pregnant women they worry about. I did look around carefully on the bus going home to check none sitting near us. The bigger concern seemed to be with regard to the urine and you will get advice about double flushing etc back home on the day.

• I knew he shouldn’t go near our kids for 6 hours but did everyone else take other precautions? 

Stay away from pregnant ladies is all I got. 
    I drank a fair bit to flush the stuff out of my system quickly. Still went to bed with Stan in the evening and had a cuddle. 

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • I forgot to add there are different tracers - my friend had standard PET and another with a novel tracer. Best check with team on the day. Hope it all goes well for you this afternoon. x