PET scan results

• 5 replies
  • 72 subscribers

Hi all, 

I haven’t posted on here before but here goes. My partner was diagnosed with right side tonsil cancer which spread to two lymphnodes back in October 2023, finishing chemoradiation in February. We got his PET scan results yesterday, the treatment has been successful and his right side is clear however they can see shadows in his left tonsil, a lymph node in his neck and something in his right lung. We are hoping that there has been some sort of infection we have been unaware of to explain however we need to wait further scans and possible biopsy. Really worried that the cancer has spread, to me it sounds like it has and wondered other opinions? Trying hard not to turn to google. He had a terrible time with his treatment and would be horrible to go through it again.. particularly with a three year old and an 8 week old baby. 

any experiences/advice would be appreciated 

• Hi  

Welcome but so sorry to see you here. 
    There are all sorts of reasons for avid PETs, the main one being inflammation from the treatment. Your partner likely had radiation to both sides so I would imagine both tonsils are now non existent but it doesn’t stop there being inflammatory reactions there. That was the case with me. No tonsils. 
    I had my scan at 16 weeks and still had a hotspot that needed investigating. Luckily a biopsy showed no cancer 

Similarly lung lesions are common without being cancer. The waiting will be awful I know so I hope this is sorted quickly. 
    As an aside….. Radiation is a once only event. He can’t have it again. 
    Treatment failure and early recurrence are really rare so hold onto that. 
    Fingers crossed. 

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Hi, thank you for replying to me. He has his right side tonsil removed before he started treatment but for some reason they didn’t remove his left one. His radiation was only on his right side also. Sorry can I just ask, can he not get radiation again ever? Even if it is a different area? 

thanks again

• can he not get radiation again ever? Even if it is a different area? 

He can if it’s to a completely different part of the body. 
    I know of only one of our members here   who has but I suspect she had very targeted treatment to each side of her jaw. I’m sure she’ll be along soon to clarify. 

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Good evening Dax1, a lovely reply from Dani, normally the cancer would not return this quickly after surgery and treatment so hopefully it is just an infection or something else that will be explained after your husband has further tests, scans, etc. I never understand why they don't remove both tonsils but I'm not a doctor and have not experienced tonsil cancer my cancers have been elsewhere in the head and neck area this is why it's a must to avoid going on Google as it will give misleading information causing unnecessary stress. Thankfully your husband is in the system so his consultant will be on it straight away, i have a few false alarms during my time with head and neck cancers , but the cure rate is very good nowadays. We know it is difficult not to worry about everything as we have all been there. Wishing you and your husband all the best. Take care.

Chris x

Its sometimes not easy but its worth it ! 

Community Champion Badge

• Hi Dax

I have had radiotherapy twice as it was in completely different areas. The first time it was targeted at my lower right jaw and the second time it was targeted at my upper left jaw. I have been told that I cannot have anymore radiotherapy now. Actually I was quite relieved as I found radiotherapy a tough experience.  Funny thing was that the second time around it did not affect my taste as much although my mouth is a lot drier now than it was after the first lot of radio.

However fingers crossed that your partner gets the all clear and does not need to have anymore radiotherapy.

Lyn

Sophie66