Tiredness after treatment

• 3 replies
  • 73 subscribers

Hi

My partner is almost 9 months post chemo radiation and the fatigue has set in again. He is having to nap every day which is not like him. It worries me because this was a symptom he had before we knew it was cancer. Is it normal this far out of treatment to get tired again? Nothing else has changed. We do have regular 6-8 weekly checks with the consultant so I will ask him in a few weeks time. I’m just panicking that it may have come back as he can not stay awake past tea time without an hours sleep :( thanks 

• Hi Rosie

Finished ChemoRadio June 2023.....still have days when I'm forced to take a wee sleep...mentioned it at 3 monthly review in Dundee couple of weeks ago....Oncology were OK with it ....commonplace.

Should also add that today I had a phone consultation with Dundee Dental Hospital .... fatigue was discussed.... Dentist was OK with the fatigue still occurring.

Peter

• Radiation fatigue can still be an issue months after treatment. It's likely just that but do mention it at his next review. Also book a thyroid test at your partner's GP. RT can cause hypothyroidism

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Hi radiation fatigue just hit you like it’s in a bit while when you run the marathon  and hit the wall it can start at any point in time and it can continue. I had it for almost 2 years. I used to get by by having a 20 minute power nap almost every day, I used to fit my nap in round what we were doin  have a read I of this  

Plus I have my thyroid blood stone every year. I have a diary note to chase upon it about 60% deal end up on some type of thyroid medication so it is worth checking that one as well with his
    next review  

https://www.workingwithcancer.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/After-the-treatment-finishes-then-what.pdf

it’s true what the article says we all want to rush recovery it can’t be rushed. 

Hugs Hazel 

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

My blog is www.radioactiveraz.wordpress.com  HPV 16+ tonsil cancer Now  6 years  post treatment. 35 radiotherapy 2 chemo T2N2NM.Happily getting on with living always happy to help