Talking causing wretching and bringing up mucous

• 10 replies
  • 74 subscribers

Hi all

Wanted to ask if anybody found that talking made you wretch/vomit and have to cough up mucous? 
My husband is finding this very difficult at the moment and can’t speak more than 3 words. I’m going to contact his CNS/SPALT today. Does this improve? Thanks 

• Hi Nic

It's just the build up of mucous. Some folk have a very sensitive pharynx and highly developed gag reflex. Encourage him to keep well hydrated. 3 litres of liquid a day apart from what is in his food. Get him to sip as much of it as he can. Steaming his head over water or using a nebuliser may help to thin the mucous and stop it building up.We all go through this horrid sticky phase till our remaining salivary glands begin to step up properly. It will get better.

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Hi Nicnack, this happened to me, I lost my voice for several weeks, when I got it back, just saying a few words would make me heave, it didn't take much to make me gag, just trying to brush my teeth would make me gag. It did get better and returned to normal over time, I'm sure your husbands will too. 

Ray.

• Hi NicNack

Most of us will have experienced some difficulties with talking, retching etc....it does improve with time....another of the treatment challenges thrown at patients and carers.

Take care 

Peter

• Thanks Dani 

Supporting husband with HPV + tonsil cancer and lymph spread 

• Thank you this is reassuring to hear Pray

• Thank you for your support Pray

• Yes. I barely spoke for two months. Hand signals. It tired me out so much it was easier to just shut up 

• Brushing teeth was the quickest way to bring up my food. I dreaded brushing them 

• Yes he can’t brush either thanks for sharing as gives reassurance 

• Hi

I was exactly the same after my operation, I would gag and choke when I tried to speak. It does get better, might not feel like it but it does. For me it started to get better after a couple of weeks