Update on husbands diagnosis

• 10 replies
  • 74 subscribers

I posted last week to say my husband had been diagnosed  with tongue cancer. Today we received the results of the lymph node biopsy which says it is SCC of tongue and is HPV 16 positive.  We have appointment next week to discuss treatment plan. I am hoping fact it is HpV positive is a good thing regarding results achieved by treatment. Future is very daunting but hopefully positivity is the key.

• HPV driven oropharyngeal cancer responds well to radiotherapy and cure rates are in excess of 90%

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Thank you do much for your reply. The forum has been a godsend already. So much information and positivity. Starting now to believe we can beat this . 

• Starting now to believe we can beat this . 

Your husbands team will beat it for sure. You and your husband have to believe it and stay sane. The treatment is awful but if he does what his team tell him he will get through. The dark doesn’t last forever. 

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • When you meet the team next week, you will feel a lot better about it all, and even more so when he starts his treatment.  Just take it one day at a time, it's hard but doable, and the cure rates are very high. He'll get there don't worry. We're all here when you need us.

Ray. 

• Hi Brisbane 

The treatment is very very challenging but not all patients are going to be hit hard with the dire side effects .. hope your husband is one of the lucky ones . .is a PEG tube being fitted?

Peter 

• Thank you so much. So good to know there are do many caring people out there.

• Hi Peter, yes peg tube has been mentioned and I think it makes sense. He is type 1 diabetic too which is an added complication if swallowing gets difficult. Hopefully side effects will be manageable just need to keep focused on end result. Thanks for your comments appreciate every one. 

• Hi HPV driven tumours do have a great cure rate. I can’t lie treatment is brutal recover can be long. Make sure his team is aware of his diabetes as eating can become difficult get appointments to see dietician in place as well. Mine and many others on here oncologist s said  they woujd take a year out  of our lives and cure us they did both in my case. I’m living as great a life as I did before. Cancer didn’t define me it made me a kinder person if anything . 
    mom passionate about helping others and making people aware if the HPV vaccine for our grandchildren and children if they are eligible. 

hugs Hazel 

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

My blog is www.radioactiveraz.wordpress.com  HPV 16+ tonsil cancer Now  6 years  post treatment. 35 radiotherapy 2 chemo T2N2NM.Happily getting on with living always happy to help

• Thank you  Hazel,will definitely take all advice on board. We re already feeling more positive thanks to all people who take time out to man this forum. Vaccination for HPV is a must and with 3 almost 4 grandchildren it is something we will definitely be advocating. We are resigned to writing of rest of this year plus whatever but looking forward to living our best life once this nightmare is over. X

• Great re grandchildren our grandson had his vaccine in January and he actively encouraged others in his year. They usually have it in year 8 at high school. 
    we’re all happy to help at treatment and pre treatment moves forward. Ask any questions. 
    Hazel 

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

My blog is www.radioactiveraz.wordpress.com  HPV 16+ tonsil cancer Now  6 years  post treatment. 35 radiotherapy 2 chemo T2N2NM.Happily getting on with living always happy to help