Severe pain after rig fitting

• 22 replies
  • 75 subscribers

Hello again. 

Just wanted to ask those who had rigs fitted what the experience was like for them if you don’t mind please. 

my mum had hers fitted 5pm Thursday. And she’s still in hospital (3nights) with severe pain, very sharp cramps all of a sudden even without moving at all. 
is this normal? 

they did an xray to double check it was in the right place and it is. 

the morning after the rig fitting they gave her morphine for the pain, which made her vomit a lot, thinking the strain in her tummy muscles from being sick may have exacerbated all the pain? 

please share your experiences… I have a feeling this is not normal for a pretty straight forward procedure. 

also, she has to lay flat and still on the radiotherapy table on Monday, how on earth will this be possible as she is even struggling to walk. 

As always thank you in advance for the help and advice I get on here. 

Amy 

• Hi Amy. Sorry to hear about your mum.

RIGs take a couple of weeks to settle. Some people have little trouble and some people do have more. So there is no normal 

In addition some people can’t cope with morphine. 
    She is in the best place. Let the hospital team look after her. 

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Thank you Dani, 

so horrible seeing her in so much pain and knowing there is worse to come :( 

• Hi Amy, sorry your mum is having a lot of pain with her RIG. They can take a while to settle down, the cramping is normal, I remember, I had cramping for a few days. However, she is in the best place for them to keep an eye on it, once it has all settled down, it will be worth having it done, mine was a lifesaver, I was 100% reliant on it for about 10 weeks. Hope she feels better soon.

Ray.

•  had a PEG fitted, and was held back for extra pain relief.. in a lot of discomfort and head of radiology released it slightly on my 1st chemo session.. some folks unfortunately have problems with RIG/PEG.. but unfortunately for a lot of folks, including myself they are a must have.. 

Loz (61)

Oropharyngeal right tongue base T2N2bM0 squamous cell carcinoma p16 positive.. 

• Thank you Loz, 

what do you mean by realised it.. was this so you were able to lay flat? 
    how long were you held back for if you remember? This wilL be 4 nights in hospital for mum, really want to get her home :( 
    they are talking about postponing her radiotherapy which worries me. 
    Hope you are doing ok 

amy 

• I was held back for a few hours and given extra pain relief.. my radiologist believed it was fitted too tightly and released it to give a bit more play.. postponing treatment doesn't sound good... are there any other options that they could pursue such as NG tube?

Loz (61)

Oropharyngeal right tongue base T2N2bM0 squamous cell carcinoma p16 positive.. 

• Thanks Loz, is a peg the same as the rig? This is the feeding tube straight into the stomach? How do they release that? Thanks 

• Thanks Loz, is a peg the same as the rig?

Not quite. The RIG is inserted differently. There are sutures in place between the abdominal wall and the stomach ( not through the tube) to let the stoma form. She should feel better once these come out , usually around three days after insertion. 

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Good evening Amy, i have only had PEGS fitted and they have been problem free compared to RIGS , as Dani said the RIG is a slight more involved procedure involving stitches although having this much pain seems unreal, i wish i could offer better advice, i hope your mum gets the pain relief needed until everthing settles down within 3/4 days, a lot of people do get some degree of pain with the RIG compared to the PEG . If the pain is still bad then it might be advicable to contact your mums Oncoligist or the oncoligist department explaining your mums situation, it will not matter if your mum misses one as they can double up for the next session . Hoping you mum feels better for next week.

Chris x

Its sometimes not easy but its worth it ! 

Community Champion Badge