Eating advice needed

• 22 replies
  • 78 subscribers

Hi All

I am 9 weeks post treatment and have just had my NG tube removed after 3 months.

I’ve tried various different types of food but I seem to be struggling with most things.

Inside my mouth, my tongue and my teeth are still really sensitive which has been an issue with some foods. Anything too acidic or containing herbs seems to be an issue.

So far I’ve been surviving on porridge and fortisips.

Can you share with me any hints and tips about what to try next? And any tips for how to actually take the food to make it more manageable?

Thank you

Suzanne

• I find eggs a little 'claggy', so make sure you have something to wash it down with.. just in case.. 

Loz (61)

Oropharyngeal right tongue base T2N2bM0 squamous cell carcinoma p16 positive.. 

• I will do, thanks Loz

• Good evening Suzanne, when I got the opportunity to start eating again after the removal of my PEG feeding tube I used to eat basic food, nothing spicy or acidy. I began by liquidizing/blending my food or buying soup as it was simple and not too costly if I did not like it. You could find that your old favourites might taste like they did before so it's a case of trial and error. I found minced meat also difficult to swallow along with food with no gravy or sauce, make sure you drink water to help with the swallowing until you become more confident, chocolate drinks can taste better than coffee or tea. Unfortunately, I now rely on feeding by tube due to swallowing issues but I can drink thin liquids and the highlight of my day is having a mug of smooth soup at the end of the day instead of food supplements (Ensure Compact). Most of us have difficulty after treatment or surgery so it's just a case of trying different things until your taste buds and swallowing improve. Good luck with experimenting, take care.

Chris x

Its sometimes not easy but its worth it ! 

Community Champion Badge

• Hi Suzanne

I find mince and most meats very dry even with lots of gravy so the same as Peter do use quite a few ready made meals from the supermarket. I check the labeling to make sure they do not have too much salt and have found a few out there that are within the healthy range. My personal favourite is shepherds pie and I add extra steamed veg to it. For me I blitz it in my blender and add extra milk to get it to the consistency that I can manage. However you could just mash it if you need more texture. I also find a slice of sponge cake or cake I fancy moistened with Fortisip and then topped with tinned fruit (in juice not syrup) pureed but again you could just mash it and then topped with yoghurt, icecrem or custard is quite acceptable. My dietician told me that canned fruit was fine as long as it was in juice.

I try and make sure that I have fruit, veg, protein and some dairy in most meals to make it as healthy as possible.

Lyn

Sophie66

• Thanks Chris, I’ve just bought a hand blender which I’m sure will come in very handy.

I hope your swallowing issued improve very soon.

• Thanks Lyn, I hadn’t considered blending ready meals but that’s definitely a good idea.

• Hi Suzanne,

I take tinned semolina and custard .The custard is very smooth and if you cool it down in fridge beforehand is soothing to eat.

Turi 

• Hi Suzanne , my hubby found yoghurts and custard pots the easiest and he lives on the chocolate custard pots now even though hes not having any issues its become part of hes daily routine. Wishing you all the best x

• Thanks Turi, I’ll give it a try