Help 6 days post surgery and constipated

• 8 replies
  • 70 subscribers

I am sorry to post with such a simple thing but I am living a nightmare, discharged from hospital  Saturday after telling them by concern ( given Lactulose friday night)  Yesterday I starte with UTI and constipation pain.  Called 111 some 4 hours later told Dr coming one hour later told he was prescribing and which on call chemist to go to.  Chemist just gave stuff for bladder so 111 started all over again.  They insisted chemist had prescription. - hubby went again and told they did not have item in stock and could not suggest anything else.  Hubby just phoned again to chemist and he hasn't even order the item and says I need a new request from 111 they say that they can't do it till 6.30 pm and need to contact surgery, Yes you can guess not answering phone,

It has been 4 hours and not got anywhere.  Even my specilaist nurse is not available.

Please can anyone suggest anything

• Hi Lanclassie

I had intermittent problems with constipation....as most who are on opioids/morphine do.... sometimes 3 or 4 days without moving.....Laxido normally works...a few sachets sometimes needed.... cancer triage also supplied Dulcolax for very stubborn episodes.

Peter 

• Oh no. 
    if you are on opiates you need laxatives. They should have prescribed them. 
    Get your husband to get laxido or Movicol from pharmacy. Try 4. 
    you can take 8 if you are badly constipated. You can check on the packet. 

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Hi Laxido or movicol you can buy both over the counter not that you should do but if you can’t get a prescription . As DanI says yiu can take up to 8 for impacted poo. Instructions in the box. Sorry you've found yourself in this position.

Hazel x

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

My blog is www.radioactiveraz.wordpress.com  HPV 16+ tonsil cancer Now 5 years  post treatment. 35 radiotherapy 2 chemo T2N2NM.Happily getting on with living always happy to help  

• Oh dear. I've been there (both constipation and noddy pharmacies). I resorted to scraping bullets of poo out of my bottom with my (very short) fingernails (rubber gloves were no use). Docusate (prescription only) worked for me, but also a good walk round the living room several times plus plenty of water if you can. 

On no account strain to get it out. Sit calmly on the loo and wait. Little pushes now and again.

Also (when you can) get some fruit and veg into your body - juices if you can't eat. Prunes, figs and dates are good. Prune juice if you can't eat solids. 

I also found it wise to not even try to go until I had felt the sensation several times. It sometimes took the best part of a week.

Hope you get some comfort soon.

Meg xxx

• Well just to thank you all and an update(nothing to report down below yet - but hopeful sounds)

So hubby eventually got through to the surgery in afternoon and they were wonderful, Dr phoned me just after 4pm telling me she had seen out of hours report and prescribed what they had.  In the meantime Hubby had purchased Laxido from the lovely independant chemist in next village

Not quite end of story - my dose of Liquid Docusate sodium (the prescribed drug) was so sharp in my throat and mouthfelt like drinking acid, so decided it was Laxido and I am glad to say it was a doddle to take, so hoping to get another sachet in later.

Once again thank you so much

• I do sometimes get it bad Lanclassie due to my diet of food supplements and meds, i take latulose most days and 

Its sometimes not easy but its worth it ! 

Community Champion Badge

• Good evening Lanclassie, i take lactulose most days and Dulcolax overnight, some people find that the Dulcolax is enough once it gets into your system. If it becomes severe which does happen from time to time due to food supplements and meds i take. Taking both of these normally helps but if it becomes uncomfortable i take Laxido as well prescribed by my Dr, as i say i take it when I'm desperate. Sometimes its just finding the right combination that suits you, i always cut back on my eating to not put more pressure on the stomach /digestive system. I hope you manage to get it sorted, take care.

Chris x    

Its sometimes not easy but its worth it ! 

Community Champion Badge

• Funny how we all taste things differently. I found lots of medications stung my mouth and throat but not Docusate - to me it tasted like potting compost (not that I've ever eaten potting compost!) and it also went up my nose, which no other liquid did. It's obviously a case of seeing what suits you best. And yes, I have had exactly the same problems with prescriptions and pharmacy. I ordered a fresh supply of Fentanyl patches and Pregabalin 13 days ago and still no sign. GP admitted they had forgotten to send the order to the chemist so did it "straight away" (which means 3 days later) and then of course the chemist was out of stock. And these are both drugs that you should NOT STOP TAKING SUDDENLY but should be weaned off in stages. Fortunately, I happened to have an appointment at the hospital and got some there. Not really good enough is it?