Rig feeding tube help

• 8 replies
  • 71 subscribers

Hi all, firstly I just want to say a huge thank you to anyone reading this who replied to my last message on here about mums diagnosis, you helped me so much. 

mums cancer is at the base of her tongue and in both lymph glands on her neck, they will zap it with 6 weeks of radiotherapy and 6 6 sessions of chemo. We all already feel slightly better having a plan of action and I know mum will kick ass!  

we know she will have to have a Rig fitted, and there’s already lots of info on here about how it’s fitted which is very useful. 

questions are… what’s the difference between rig and peg tube? 

they want to put mums in the week before she starts her treatment.. is this normal? even though they have explained that the nasty side effects wont kick in until 2/3 weeks. 

do they just want to fit it for her while she feels well?  

to me it seems a little unnecessary to have the tube just dangling there and not in use for ages.

the dietician lady we saw told us that there have been some problems at the hospital with rig fitting appointments not going ahead due to staff shortages! Doesn’t fill us with a lot of hope.

is there useful contraption that we can get mum to sort of hold the little tubes to her body so they don’t get caught on clothing etc? Or does this not tend to happen?  

thanks for your help in advance, 

Amy 

• Hi Amy. The difference is in the way they are fitted 

There is some useful info here 

https://www.ouh.nhs.uk/services/departments/neurosciences/neurology/mnd/support/peg-rig.aspx#:~:text=It%20can%20be%20put%20in,barium%20placed%20inside%20the%20stomach.

do they just want to fit it for her while she feels well?  

Absolutely! Once treatment effects set in your mum’s mouth and throat will be really sore. You don’t want to be messing around having a tube fitted then. They also take a week or two to settle in and can themselves cause discomfort. 

Dont worry too much if the hospital doesn’t manage to get it done. She can always have a nasogastric tube instead. I had one and it was little bother. 
    I didn’t have a PEG so I’ll leave the last question to someone else 

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Hi Amy, I had a RIG fitted about 1 1/2 weeks before my treatment started, doing it beforehand gives it time to settle, and to get used to it. She will be shown how to use it and how it flush it through, so it's all ready for when she needs it. I used to tape mine down with some surgical tape, that keeps it out of the way. She will get used to it quite quickly, and be very pleased she's got it, if she needs to use it. I was 100% reliant on mine after 3 weeks and used it for approx 10 weeks. It's best to have and not need it, than need it and not have it. I wish your mum all the best with her treatment, any worries or questions just ask.

Ray.

• At the end of the day once fitted they are all what is called a g-Tube.

Having the tube fitted and not in use will be a godsend when she finally does need feeding as you then have the stress of her not feeding and hydrating whilst the hospital try to avert a crisis in a timely manner.  Personally I "love" my g-Tube and have nightmares at the thought of having an NG tube.   

You can get a belt issued for your mum that holds the tube.  However, I found that it caught on the fixation plate and tended to pull the tube.  In the end I did two things.  Firstly I secured the free end of the tube to my tummy using some catheter fixation plaseters.  Search Amazon for "Milisten 10pcs Catheter Legband Holder Fixing Sticker Urinary Tube Drainag Tube Bag Paste Medical Supplies"  I also wear a vest that isolates the g-Tube from my shirt or bedding and as such I have never caught and pulled it.

I still have mine in and it will stay in until after I have a clear PET scan.  Most of the time I forget I have it in.

Peter
    See my profile for more details of my convoluted journey
  • Thanks so much for the link! Will have a look x

• i agree with Ray & peter..my partner had his done on his 1st week of treatment as we were away just before treatment started for a few days on the day they wanted to do it . he was kept in overnight and they took him down both days for his treatment. he was given some mefix self adhesive fabric that we cut into plaster size and secure with 2 pieces .he has just finished treatment and we are using the rig for everything ensures /water and meds

• Hi Here4mum, sorry to hear about your Mum’s diagnosis. I too, had a RIG tube fitted prior to my treatment in July 2021 and become totally reliant on if for my nutrition and fluids when the effects off the RT/CT kicked in. It was straightforward to fit with an overnight stay in hospital and settled down in a few days. I also used surgical tape to keep in place and a Softpore pad to protect the entry site. I did have an ongoing issue with a slight infection at the site and swabbed the site with saline solution. Removal was painless and performed at home.

wishing her all the best with her treatment.

- John

• Sorry to hear about your Mums diagnosis. 
    I never stop worrying about mine. 
    Mu mum has a RIG tube and uses tape or strips to hold tube on, given to her by nurse when she goes to nurse reviews. So I’m sure she can ask for them. I found they gave anything to help, pain relief,etc. 

She could eat stall amounts until about week 5 and used Forticip drink: feeds through the tube and has all feeds through it now. 
    She can only sip water as she has sore throat but she’s on week 8 now. 
    It’s important to keep up

to the barrier cream if she’s been given it, my Mum now has sores but this will have helped - as would’ve been worse. 

• Hi Amy 

I had a PEG feeding tube fitted prior to starting chemoradio.  . veritable lifesaver..... secured it to my clothes by way of a contraption I fabricated.... very simple.... plastic alligator phone clip and light cord....drill a small hole into the clip then thread the cord through....tie off the cord to the feeding tube .... clip can then be secured to clothing to prevent dangling.

Peter