Head and neck

• 2 replies
  • 67 subscribers

Hello,

My husband is 20 months post surgery. He had 80% of his tongue removed and the whole floor of his mouth so a big reconstruction. Maximum radiotherapy and last apportionments have all been clear.

He does suffer a bit with lymphadema where his neck on one side swells up but usually goes down. This is often when he has had spicy foods or chocolate! Two weeks ago though a lump came up in his neck and still hasn’t gone down. Hospital finally called today and said they will speak to his consultant tomorrow. He has also been referred via doctor and on 2 week wait to be seen at hospital just so he is in the system.

i am just wondering if anyone else has gone through this? Hoping it’s a blocked gland but not sure. He was grade 3 so I do worry it will come back ….. I think this is just my life now … a constant worry! Thank you for reading x

• Hello   can I take this opportunity to welcome you here and to say I’m sorry your husband is caught up on the roller coaster again 

I know it’s easy to say this but don’t get ahead of yourself. The doctors are covering all bases to get to the bottom of it. 
    There are members on here who have had a recurrence but cross that bridge if you need to. It’s a worry, I realise. I had an avid PET after treatment and thought it had failed but a biopsy gave me an all clear. 
    Fingers crossed. 

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Good evening Cala, i know how you must be feeling and what your husband has been /going through as i have had three separate head and neck cancers with reconstructive surgery, its also lovely to read that your husband can eat as i know how difficult this can be with the reconstruction surgery. I know its not easy to worry as we all do especially when something is not quite right, i was the same if a lump or something felt different so i always went to see my consultant a.s.a.p due to my history, most of the time it was nothing just side effects or a tooth playing up. My consultant always urged me to see him or one of his team so I'm sure your husband will be only too happy to check you over, hopefully, it is linked to his lymphedema. All the best to you and your husband, and once again well done to your husband for persevering and your continued support and help, thanks for posting. Take care.

Chris x

Its sometimes not easy but its worth it ! 

Community Champion Badge