Shaving during treatment

• 9 replies
  • 69 subscribers

Hi all!

Starting Chemoradiaton on the 22nd on both sides of my neck for stage 2 tonsil cancer. Have been advised to dry shave only, but no idea what type of shaver to use. 

Anyone who's been through the same can advise? I know my beard will fall out at some point, but need to keep it tidy until then. 

Diagnosed March 24

• Hi  

While you’re waiting for a reply from the chaps in here have a read through this thread. 
    community.macmillan.org.uk/.../shaving

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Good evening Greentea, ever since my first operation i have used a three-headed rechargeable shaver, mine have all been Phillips but i think Braun is just as good. I used to use a wet shave but because i had reconstructive surgery i was advised to use an electric one although i must admit they are not as good as a hand razor/shaver Slight smile. I had Cisplatin as my chemotherapy drug and did not lose any hair but others have done. Good luck with your first treatment on the 22nd, all the best.

Chris. 

Its sometimes not easy but its worth it ! 

Community Champion Badge

• Thanks Chris. 

I'm having the same Chemo but only 2 doses. It's the radiotherapy that's going to take the beard away. Just want to try and keep it as tidy as possible so it's not patchy. 

Stage 2 HPV Positive right tonsil cancer. 

Chemoradiaton start 22/04/2024

• I really recommend no wet shaving.  I got an electric razor a Panasonic from Amazon.  I now have a nude neck Joy I’m assuming it will return I due course 

• Hi Greentee85, I just used a three head rechargeable, still do. You will have to shave less and less, as you go through your treatment. My usual rate of shaving every day, never did return, even after 6+ years after treatment, I only have to shave about once a week. Good luck with your treatment, any worries or questions, just ask.

Ray.

• Hi Greentee ,

My hubby used the same sort of radio that Chris mentioned. He doesnt have a beard but has a tash and was worried about loosing it but hes team were great and he still has hes tash. Wishing you all the best x

• Personally I use Phillips as I find rotary more comfortable than foil.  I would go for a mid range shaver as I have an expensive one and mid range one and the cheaper is realistically as good as the expensive one.  One good thing about shaving is that it gets you used to feeling your neck and that is great for noticing any changes in the coming years.

I kept hair on my cheeks and a very small patch under my chin, otherwise the radiation finished off everything else.

Peter
    See my profile for more details of my convoluted journey
  • Personally I use Phillips as I find rotary more comfortable than foil.

I'm the same, used them on and off for many years pre-cancer as well as after, have never got along with the Braun type.

Community Champion Badge

Metastatic SCC diagnosed 8th October 2013. Modified radical neck dissection November, thirty-five radiotherapy fractions with 2xCisplatin chemo Jan/Feb 2014. Recurrence on larynx diagnosed July 2020 so salvage laryngectomy in September 2020.

http://mike-o.blogspot.co.uk/

• Hi  my husband starts that day too, left tonsil. Will be good to keep up with how you’re getting on. I ordered him the Philips one blade based on a few of his friends recommendation. Not tried it yet though. Best of luck and hopefully I’ll see four updates if you post.