Glossectomy recovery

• 4 replies
  • 68 subscribers

Hi there,

I’m writing on behalf of my Mum, she’s not the best with technology but I’m hoping I can encourage her to come on here herself for a bit of support. In February she had over half her tongue removed via glossectomy and a flap constructed from her thigh. She had a gastric tube fitted before the surgery and has been using that to feed herself since. Not being able to eat or drink anything has really been getting her down and now she has had a few more blows. Firstly she went to her first appointment with the speech and language nurse, who said her swallowing reflex hadn’t recovered as well as she’d have expected at this point. So she now is only allowed sips of water due to the risk of aspiration. The nurse also said there isn’t very much movement in her tongue at all and that probably won’t improve due to how much of her tongue was removed. She has also been told she now needs radiotherapy and chemotherapy which could affect her swallowing more. So basically my question is to anyone who is experiencing the same or has been through this, if you have any advice or words of encouragement for her. 

• Hi   Have a look at this thread Partial tongue removal - I am so worried 

There is a link to the mouth cancer foundation and a couple if posts from other patients. 

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Good evening Teastainsandbiscuitcrumbs, after my first operation which included a flap from my forearm my swallowing and speech were very poor, and have to use a feeding tube into my stomach. My first operation was floor of the mouth which also included a part of my tongue, its surprising how much work the tongue does not only for speech but for swallowing. I also had radio and chemo after my operation and had to do exercises to help improve my speech and swallowing which did help and i was able to talk and eat again. It never recovered fully which is understandable due to the sort of operation plus i only had a small bit of my tongue removed. Hopefully after your mum has had her treatment they will be able to get some of her swallow and talk back. Wishing you all the best, take care.

Chris 

Its sometimes not easy but its worth it ! 

Community Champion Badge

• Thank you Chris, I will pass this onto my Mum. Sounds very similar to what she’s going through. She has her sessions with speech and language booked which should hopefully help. 

thanks again for your reply 

• Thank you. I shall take a look