neck cancer that they cannot operate on

• 13 replies
  • 70 subscribers

Hi all hope everyone is dealing as best as possible with their aliments, I am on  chemotherapy and on palitive care. For neck cancer that has spread as predicted to lungs and liver and as soon as I was told I signed the consent forms and treatment started within a week of two, I am half way thought my treatment and will have my first scan in about 3 weeks to see if its working and then another 3 cycles hopefully to shrink it or at least stop it growing. My difficult  question is how does the neck  cancer  usually affect a person and what symtoms does one get etc .  I am pleased so far as no side affects and can still do most things but have stopped working and just do the odd jobs when I feel like it . Any views appreciated All the Best Minmax 

• Hello Minimax. Sorry to read of your diagnosis but glad that they're being proactive with your treatment. I'm sorry I don't have any answer to your question as my neck was only affected by a lymph node which responded to Chemo and Chemoradiation. I do hope someone sees your post and can help you out. All the best Tina 

• Hi Minmax

This is probably a question for your medical team. I know when I asked my consultant how the cancer I had would progress if I did not have treatment he was very honest with me about the effects. I was glad I had the conversation with him as it did make me re-evaluate things and I did go ahead with the treatment. Also a discussion about palliative care is worth having so you know what options are there for you if required. I also had this discussion with my consultant. I wanted to be fully informed and not stick my head in the sand. I wanted to be able to make decisions that were right for me with all the info. in front of me. and not make knee jerk decisions.

It is great that you are able to do jobs around the house and can please yourself. . I know I always feel positive when I am able to be involved in small projects. It is like taking control of something when other things in my life are not so much in control. Do what makes you happy.

Best wishes

Lyn

Sophie66

• Thanks PetLamb That's kind of you . I suppose its just the way ones brain can work sometimes over thinking things. I thought when you hear the word head cancer I was thinking I might go gaga but apparently not which is good news I hope lol . I am delighted you responded to treatment . All the Best Regards Minmax

• Thanks Sophie66 Yes indeed or do anything you want to do. I think the Oncologists assistant should have been a bit more upbeat about my diagnosis if I am being honest. Giving anyone  some hope is good without sugar coating the truth .  I like to be positive even about dying as we are all going to do it at some stage. It should be a celebration of our life when we die. I have left my body to medical science so something useful might help someone else.  I want to know what's  happens next if things go wrong. It's like asking how long is a piece of string I suppose. I am very fortunate and have no complaints in life or feel I have to rush out and do some stupid bucket list that is going to fulfil my life. I would like a motorbike a girlfriend and a dog but I could not guarantee the dog a good long life so I will pass on that . The motor bike would be a recipe for disaster and a serious health and safety issue . So it looks like a girlfriend would be my next best option. But I defo dont need a stress merchant . All the Best Minmax  

• Hi Min sorry missed your original post. Can’t answer your question but maybe a chat with your cancer nurse? You can put in place your wishes eg s hospice or hospice at home care when the need arises. On the choice if 3 you can  foster a dog ? There’s always dogs who are older snd their mums ir dads have died. Motor bike try s scooter girlfriend pass too complicated. !!!

hugs Hazel xx

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

My blog is www.radioactiveraz.wordpress.com  HPV 16+ tonsil cancer Now 5 years  post treatment. 35 radiotherapy 2 chemo T2N2NM.Happily getting on with living always happy to help  

• Hi Hazel Thanks for the heads up it's the first time a mention of hospice has come up. I am putting that off for as long as possible please God.  All the Best Regards Marc 

• Hi Oh gosh yes a long time down the road but the options are there if you ever need them. Hugs Hvxx

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

My blog is www.radioactiveraz.wordpress.com  HPV 16+ tonsil cancer Now 5 years  post treatment. 35 radiotherapy 2 chemo T2N2NM.Happily getting on with living always happy to help  

• up it's the first time a mention of hospice has come up. I am putting that off for as long as possible please God.

H Marc. Hospice isn’t just for your final days. They are really good at getting on top of pain and giving  you a rest from managing everything for yourself; a time of respite before you go home again. So please don’t be afraid. Hugs. I wish I could offer more than hugs xxxx

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Hi Dani I wasn't aware of that , Every day a school day lol . All the best Regards Minmax 

• Hi Marc

I have done a few things over time that I would not have tried before although I do not have a formal bucket list. When the opportunities arose I thought 'why not'. My daughter has taken me quad biking and a ride in a sand buggy. That was a high with the driver going up the sand dunes and turning quickly at the top and coming down again. My grandson took me kayaking which was something I had always wanted to do. When I was younger I would have loved to try water skiing and surfing but sadly I am a bit too old to try that now. I know it would end in disaster. My grandson has a surf board and I did try getting on it in a sitting position in a quiet part of the river. It was a real laugh and I ended up falling off anyway. At least I got the idea although not very successfully. Like I said do what makes you happy. You don't have to break the bank. It is great to have something to look forward to. I'm definitely not going for anything high risk like sky diving. I don't like heights so anything height related is definitely out.

If you want to try out a motorbike there are companies that will take you for a ride without the expense of owning one or the risk of driving one yourself. I like the idea of fostering a dog but like Hazel will pass on the girlfriend. Although my daughter recently went speed dating and met quite a few good matches so that might be worth a try.

Lyn

Sophie66