Lesions post radiation

• 4 replies
  • 70 subscribers

My husband is 18 months post 35 fractions 2 cisplatin T4aN2cM0

he keeps developing spots/plaque on his head and neck and becoming painful . They seem to dry up but come back. It’s a viscous circle with the exception of a painful one on his neck he’s had this about 5 weeks now . Anyone else had this is it normal . 

• Hi sorry to hear your husbands having these issues. I can’t recall anyone who has had lesions that yiu are describing I ’ll have a good think. Have you contacted his cancer nurse ? Plus he should still be seeing his consultants. Msybe he needs something prescribed 

Hazel 

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

My blog is www.radioactiveraz.wordpress.com  HPV 16+ tonsil cancer Now 5 years  post treatment. 35 radiotherapy 2 chemo T2N2NM.Happily getting on with living always happy to help  

• Thanks for reply, he sees ent consultant in 4 weeks my husband has mentioned them before but he just shrugged it off.  this one makes him Wince if he catches it. I’ll ask for a derm referral 

• Hey - this resonates with me! I had 30 RT sessions on my neck and they fried my skin inside and out. The wounds were horrific on my neck and so sore. The skin on my neck is different now and despite meticulous dressings and care you can see the scarring - it looks like feint both marks as opposed to deep tissue disruption. The key thing for me (now nearly 6 years post treatment) is how the skin reacts. At times it can be terribly itchy and I have to stop myself from clawing it raw. No rhyme or reason to it but I guess like lots of cancer treatment, the collateral damage reveals itself in so many different ways. I’ve no advice for your husband other than to make sure you use the best creams/dressings to keep it sterile - your oncology team/nurses will know the best stuff to use for that. Take care

Reevsey
  • he keeps developing spots/plaque on his head and neck and becoming painful

Hi  

This sounds like chronic radiation dermatitis and needs addressing. I would contact your husbands CNS to see if there is a late effects clinic attached to the hospital and to let his oncologist know. If you opt for a dermatologist referral make sure they are familiar with radiotherapy.

Best wishes

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge