PEG concerns

• 11 replies
  • 76 subscribers

Hi all

I’m sure this has been asked before but I had a quick search and was rather overwhelmed!

Having my PEG fitted next week, would anyone whose had one like to give me some info, what’s surgery like, how long to heal, what can’t / shouldn’t I do, feeding, etc

Many thanks for everyone’s help and continued support, your all fabulous 

Guy

• Hi Guy. My PEG procedure wasn't the best but complications are rare apparently and my PEG was essential during and after my treatment. One thing that helped me was that I would imagine what meal I wanted to eat and write it on paper covers that I would put over my feed bottles. Whilst doing bolus feeds I would imagine the taste, smells and texture of the meal. It may sound like torture to some but it really helped me. Don't be embarrassed to get your tube out in front of people either, be proud of your strength and resilience. I bought a new bread bin to keep my syringes and medication, pill crusher etc hidden away in the kitchen, and a funky colourful tea pot for my boiled water. I had the majority of my PEG meals at the dinner table with my family to try to keep the situation as 'normal' as possible. Seeing and smelling their food also helped with my saliva. Delia the feeding tube and I had our moments but I wouldn't have survived without her. All the best. Liz x