So Tired

• 8 replies
  • 73 subscribers

Hi people finished my 20 sessions and 55.5 gy necks burnt but ok throats 

sore and bleeding a little so on Fortisip. but manageable with meds. 
im so tired not sure if its the comedown from finishing the treatment or the treatment itself. Or indeed the meds   Either way im knackerd and sleeping for 9 hours.  

• Well done for getting to the other side. You are doing well to drink fortisips, I couldn't. The next 4 weeks will be a challenge as the treatment continues to work. 

Rest as much as you can and be kind to yourself. 

Wishing you a speedy recovery. 

Rachel 

30 days radio and 2 chemo for tumour at back of tongue 

• Radiation fatigue is a thing, you will need to rest a LOT for the next few weeks. But recovery starts here - well done for getting through treatment! 

September 2022 aged 63 diagnosed with HPV associated SCC base of tongue T4 N2 M0. Chemo & radiotherapy for 6 weeks ending Nov 2022.  Dec 2023 one year all clear. See my profile for longer story

• Hi aPauk it’s from the treatment I had 35 radiotherapy sessions and 2 chemo radiation fatigue hits yiu like a wall. It’s rest and recuperation time I literally spent 2  weeks in bed apart from the  feeds and oral hygiene. Make sure yiu keep on top of nutrition and hydration . Treatment continues to work for weeks afterwards. 
    Hazel 

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

My blog is www.radioactiveraz.wordpress.com  HPV 16+ tonsil cancer Now 5 years  post treatment. 35 radiotherapy 2 chemo T2N2NM.Happily getting on with living always happy to help  

• Nine hours qualified as a short nap for me Paul!

My best trick was falling asleep in the bath and waking up when the water got cold enough to shock me round.

Trust your body, recovery is tough so the more you can sleep through it the betterThumbsup

Community Champion Badge

Metastatic SCC diagnosed 8th October 2013. Modified radical neck dissection November, thirty-five radiotherapy fractions with 2xCisplatin chemo Jan/Feb 2014. Recurrence on larynx diagnosed July 2020 so salvage laryngectomy in September 2020.

http://mike-o.blogspot.co.uk/

• Hi Paulmc, well done completing your treatment, now to recover back to health. You now need time to heal, nutrition and rest are great healers. Give yourself the time you need to heal. It's often said on here that it's a marathon not a sprint.

Ray.

• Hi there. I found i was more fatigued from the radiation than I was from the chemo treatments I had before radiation started. I also found the end of treatments was a very emotionally exhausting time for me. It gets easier as the weeks progress. Get all the rest you can. Don’t try and overdo it , you’ll just feel it the next day. I actually found the weeks after radiation more challenging than the actual radiation.  You think you’re done but I found this is where things really kicked in. On the plus side, it gets better week by week 

• Hi Paul

I'm afraid that the fatigue is part of what happens with radiotherapy. The very thought of walking a short distance was just too much for me in the early days although I did try to walk a bit. I would hold onto my husband's arm and sometimes he would literally have to almost drag me along I was so fatigued. I slept like a baby for quite a while and needed constant naps. Then all of a sudden quite out of the blue things started to improve and got better day by day. I tried to push myself initially and tried walking around the block. I got a quarter of the way and had to turn back as I knew I could not make it in spite of being quite fit prior to treatment.

You just have to go with what your body is telling you and rest and then it will take care of itself.

Lyn

Sophie66

• I slept 9 hours a night and 2 hours in the afternoon for a couple of months, Outside of that I watched Come Dine With Me, Location Location and similar mindless tv. Then it went down to 9 h at night and only an hour in the afternoon, Six months after the end of RT I stopped the afternoon kip and had an espresso instead and started back to work. That's where I am now 7 months after finishing RT+Chemo. Works for me:)

Mike