Husbands Cancer Diagnosis

• 70 replies
  • 78 subscribers

I find myself on this forum anxious afraid, emotional, not eating not sleeping and generally not dealing with the situation very well. 
my husband has a large mass on his right side of his neck, this started to affect his voice and swallowing obviously this prompted him to go to the doctors that was on the 19th of Jan since then it has been a rollacoster to say the least.

He has had bloods, CT, camera’s down the nose, biopsy and MRI. Over the weekend he developed another swelling on his left side of the jaw which caused his unbearable pain which led to a trip to a&e and admission to head and neck ward. After morphine, steroids and IV antibiotics he’s do ok but still significant swelling.

We attended another consultant appointment on Monday this week and I just hate that stomach churning feeing knowing it’s probably more bad news. The consultant said the new left mass is now likely to be cancer to. They cannot locate the primary the mri showed maybe tonsil area he’s due to have a PET scan in the coming days.

My husband is now booked in for a tonsillectomy, exploration of the throat and possibly more biopsy depending on what they see and a PEG feed insertion followed by chemo as soon as possible. Does all this sound like normal practice and is it normal to have this constant fear inside. I just don’t want to see him in pain and I need to be stronger then I am right now for him and for our three teenager boys.

• Hi don’t stress chemo radiotherapy is the gold standard treatment. It’s not unusual for lymph nodes  to be on both sides i. I had radiotherapy to both sides 75% on the tonsil side and 25% on other side to mop up any stray cells Best advise if he’s offered a peg take it or if his trust does like mine n g feeding tubes consent to that mine was fitted end if week 3 I had it for a total of 6 weeks it was my lifesaver. Our cancers respond extremely well to treatment,. Thank you for reading my blog hooe it helped. Refer back when you need to plus we all will help in here. As for opposite side being affected it was discovered by my pet Ct scan that I had 7 lymph nodes and my soft palette  was affected.

keep off Google stick with us that’s our mantra. 

Hazel xx

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

My blog is www.radioactiveraz.wordpress.com  HPV 16+ tonsil cancer Now 5 years  post treatment. 35 radiotherapy 2 chemo T2N2NM.Happily getting on with living always happy to help  

• Hi Hazel, it’s getting to that time of night when my brain goes into overdrive. Just wondering if you had induction chemo. Spoke with my husbands CNS today and she mentioned induction chemo 3 cycles what does this mean? Will he been admitted for these of day unit chemo? 

• Hi keep your brain active watch trashy box sets nothing too complicated and don’t stress. My chemo was delivered once every 3 weeks day 1 day 21 and the final one would have been day 35 but I only had 2 as Larry the big lump had disappeared . Mine was approx a 10 hour infusion I was in at 0830 on the chemo ward and also had radiotherapy the same day. Did the cns mention that radiotherapy would be done alongside the chemo the same week. Induction chemo as far as I know is administered prior to radiotherapy in a block sometime via a pump that starts at hospital then continue at home for up to 4  days. Then a few weeks later either further chemo and radiotherapy concurrently like mine. Or just radiotherapy i would ask your cns if that’s what she meant. 
    remember keep off Dr Google and don’t overthink everything. Easy to say hard to do

hazel xx

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

My blog is www.radioactiveraz.wordpress.com  HPV 16+ tonsil cancer Now 5 years  post treatment. 35 radiotherapy 2 chemo T2N2NM.Happily getting on with living always happy to help  

• Thank you Hazel. I will double check when she rings again next week. Planning on trying to switch off this evening. Also Just wondering if you noticed swallowing difficulties before your diagnosis? 

Thankyou for being patient with your responses.

Becky

• Hi Becky. No problem. No I didn’t have any issues prior to treatment starting my cancer was encapsulated inside my tonsil so wasn’t any hinderance to my eating or drinking. It had spread to soft palate but again didn’t interfere  with my swallow. But from my years on here it has affected some people so try not to stress the treatment will do its job. I couldn’t swallow at all by end if week 3.  But has you’ve read in my blog I have a fabulous life now. 
    Your welcome   you cant beat first hand experience we’ve been there cried at 0200 on the kitchen floor then got our self’s uo and started a new day. 

hugs Hazel xx

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

• Spoke with my husbands CNS today and she mentioned induction chemo 3 cycles what does this mean?

Hi Bex. Induction chemo is used to reduce the size of the cancer before radiotherapy so that the dose can be reduced avoiding damage to surrounding tissues. 

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Thanks Dani. I didn’t really understand what was meant by induction chemo. 

Becky.

• Hi Bethie, I meant to ask how your husband is recovering from his tonsillectomy and biopsies. Did he stay in hospital for a few days? Is he managing to eat and drink? 

• Bex. Take all these questions to the next appointment so that everything is explained and make sure you understand. 

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Hello Bexx85,as others have said, try to resist Googling as there is a lot of out of date, alarmist or plain wrong info online. Stick with this forum, I found it so helpful & supportive.

Best wishes to you and your husband

Catriona

September 2022 aged 63 diagnosed with HPV associated SCC base of tongue T4 N2 M0. Chemo & radiotherapy for 6 weeks ending Nov 2022.  Dec 2023 one year all clear. See my profile for longer story