Squamous Cell Carcinoma - now know the primary and all systems go!

• 22 replies
  • 78 subscribers

Hi all,  I posted a couple of months ago as I had been newly diagnosed with squamous cell carcinoma but unknown primary.  Well 2 months down the line and I have had the diagnosis as base of tongue, the secondary being a large lump on the cervical lymph node.   So far I have had tonsils removed and a panendoscopy, back molar removed and rig fitted last Thursday.   My treatment begins on 22nd January - 6 weeks RT with 2 Chemo (Cisplatin).  Have to say this type of cancer can ibe a challenge for a foodie but I have been inspired by this forum as there is some really good advice out there and makes me feel very supported through my journey.  I am still tender from the RIG procedure but improving day by day.   I have booked for a good meal out with my husband a couple of days before treatment starts.  

• Hi Reneebabes, good that they have identified the primary and your prep for treatment is done. I agree with the 'challenge for a foodie', eat as many of your favourite foods now as you can. All the very best for your treatment, it may be rough but you will get through it, Tina x

• yeah, I hear ya... start my treatment tomorrow (30 radio, 6 chemo) breakfast was full english, salt, pepper, brown sauce.. hell yeah.. get in! lol

Loz (61)

Oropharyngeal right tongue base T2N2bM0 squamous cell carcinoma p16 positive.. 

•  I have booked for a good meal out with my husband a couple of days before treatment starts.  

Hi. Enjoy that and know that you will enjoy it again. 
    I had base of tongue cancer fixed nearly five years ago and life is pretty good. 
    Tell us what you have. I love a little vicarious indulgence. 

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • yeah, I hear ya... start my treatment tomorrow (30 radio, 6 chemo) breakfast was full english, salt, pepper, brown sauce.. hell yeah.. get in! lol

I had a huge venison steak ( you’ll never eat beef again if you have one)  and Tiramisu 
    I dreamed of that through treatment then lost my appetite for six months Joy

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Tiramisu .. now you're talking my kinda language.. might have to get some in during the next few days.. 

Loz (61)

Oropharyngeal right tongue base T2N2bM0 squamous cell carcinoma p16 positive.. 

• Thanks Tina, have to say I am not looking forward to it but will get through.   I start on 22nd Jan.  I may have to postpone my 60th this June - I don't mind being 59 for another year!  Slight smile

• Hi Reneebabes

T2N1M0 tonsil cancer....diagnosed Feb 2023....finished ChemoRadio June 2023....30 radio +4 cisplatin

Go for it, I loved hot Indian food and sitting at the beach having a chippy.... went for a few before start of treatment....put on a few pounds....a good few....but loved every minute of it....after treatment appetite had gone AWOL...lost a couple of stone....hot curries are not on my menu yet...though I can now enjoy mild Indian/Chinese food ....and chippy food....being Scottish....battered Haggis and chips ....treatment is a tough gig to start with but things will improve.

Best of luck

Peter.

• Ooh, love a smoked crispy bacon on toast with brown sauce and I make a mean tiramisu.   Good luck tomorrow.  

Irene x

• Thanks so much Peter, there is hope.  I thought I would enjoy Christmas this year but ended up with covid Disappointed

• Ooh, love venison!